When Emotions Get the Best of Us

Writing Prompt (From Pinterest): He/she is crying.  What do I do?

This is gonna be shorter than the last story.  Not all of them are gonna be that long.

Please enjoy!

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Varian shoved a lot of his supplies off the table with a swipe of his arm.  He growled loudly in his frustration, not even wincing at the sound of glass shattering.  Didn't even care about the mess he created in his moment of utter anger with himself.  Should it not be simple?  How stupid was he?  How was he unable to free his father after all this time?  Surely, he should of found the solution long ago.

"What's going on in here?"

The boy didn't move when he heard the door open.  He didn't care.  Panting, he just stared at the wood of his desk, trying to collect his thoughts.  He just completely ignored the man that had walked up behind him.

"Again?"

"What is it, Andrew?" Varian snapped.

"Crashing sounds are things to investigate," the man deadpanned.

"I'm fine, so you don't need to be here," Varian huffed.

"Clearly, you're not," Andrew disagreed.

"Yes. I. Am! Varian hurled an empty plastic ball at the man.

Andrew calmly dodged it, knowing that even in Varian's worse fits, his heart wasn't capable of actually throwing anything that would actually harm someone.  Even with this in mind, he frowned at the boy.  "This is unacceptable."

"Shut up!"  Varian hissed, turning is back towards the man again.

"You are too old to be throwing a temper tantrum."  The Saporian crossed his arms, looking down at the enraged teen.

"I don't care!"  Varian snapped.

"Did you even go to bed last night?"

"I'm not a baby!" Varian protested, turning back around to face the man.

"Then stop acting like one!"  Andrew snapped.

Varian grew silent.  When Andrew lost his cool, that meant he was going too far.  Andrew's face was stern and angry.  Varian looked down at his feet in shame.  "I'm sorry... it's just that..."

Andrew's face went from stern to panic when Varian began to cry.  So far, he had only had to deal with the boy's temper or a panic attack that sometimes caused tears.  He wasn't prepared to deal with a crying traumatized boy that was literally screaming at him seconds before.  The mood swings on this child was too much to make since of.

"Hey, hey, buddy..." He tried to make his voice sound soft and comforting, but a part of him questioned if he was succeeding.  Gently, he placed his hands on the boy's shoulders and kneeled down on one knee.

Varian was still looked at his feet, his body only moving as he took in a deep breath to let out a quiet sob.  Silent tears trickled down his cheeks.  "I'm sorry, Andrew...  I shouldn't have snapping but...  it just hurts so much... he's still gone...  and I don't even know  if he's even alive!"

"Hey," Andrew said softly as he curled his finger to lift the boy's chin up so that the teen would look him in the eyes.  "I get it.  Why don't you get some rest."

Varian used the palms of his hands to wipe the tears off his cheeks.  "Ok..." he whispered.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Just for curiosity's sake, how old do you think I am?  You can guess, but I probably won't tell.