Losing Isn't In Our Vocabulary

Writing Prompt (From Pinterest): "You know I'll win."
"And you know I'll fight."

We have a Varian and The Seven Kingdoms Oneshot AU people!  Takes place after Hugo's betrayal and the group hasn't seen him for and episode or two, because he left. Varian, Yong and Nuru have split up  in Donella's layer.  (IDk...  does she even have one?  We're gonna pretend that she does)  Also the special armor on I have for Donnella's arms aren't canon as far as I can tell.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Varian gripped his staff tightly, expecting Donnella or her henchman to jump out at him.  Perhaps even Hugo.  A part of him wanted the latter, because he wanted to talk to his brother.  He was upset and hurt the last time they had seen each other and Hugo had seemed just as deflated.  Varian could see the regret and sadness in his eyes.  There was still hope for his brother.  He wasn't going to give up on him.

Ruddiger shifted a little on Varian's shoulder, sniffing the air.  Most likely trying to find Donnella or her henchman and try to gain the upper hand by knowing their presence before they were pounced.

After a while, they reached the end of the hall and slowly began to enter a large room.  Suddenly, the doors closed behind him, sending off a large echo.  Varian pointed his staff out, ready to defend himself from the attack that was certain to come.

"Well, you've come this far.  Shame I have to end the journey here."  The person had been walking across the beam, fixing their glove.

The voice came from the metal beams above his head.  He gritted his teeth as his eyes darkened.  He knew who it was.  "Donella!"

She chuckled.  "Just put the staff down.  Do this the easy way so you don't get hurt."

"Why don't you come face me instead of hiding in the shadows like the coward that you are?"  Varian shot back.

He could see her silhouette as she set her hands on her hip, still standing on a beam.  "You know I will win," she said.

"And you know I will fight!"  Varian tightened his grip to his staff.

"Suit yourself."  Donnella shrugged before leeping off the metal beam, using a iron pole next to her to slide down.

Varian twirled his staff, smirking.  He remembered how it took him months of practice to do it flawlessly.  Along with a few tips from Cassandra when they met her on the road and she stayed with them for a few days.

She pulled the strings on her gloves, switching on her armor.  Varian leapt up, bringing his staff down.  She blocked it with both her arms.  The collision caused sparks to fly as the sound against metal and metal scraping together reached their ears.  With all her strength, Donnella pushed forward, making Varian back off on the attack.  He took his staff off her arms, stumbling back.

"Give up!"

"Never!"  Varian shouted.

"What will you gain from this?"

"My mother?  Knowledge to help the world?"

"And lose everything else while you're at it!"

"What do you mean?"  Varian asked.

"This!" Donnella pulled the lever, revealing a type of automaton behind him.

Varian spun around, gasping.  His eyes widened in horror.  It was bigger than any one that he ever made!  It swiped its hand at him.

"Look out!"

The voice made Varian turn his head to see the owner.  "Hugo?"

The blonde tackled him just in time before they were crushed.  "You came back?"

"Am I here?"  Hugo retorted.

Varian let out a breath of relief.  His brother had returned.  Hugo helped him up.  "Now, let's finish this together!"