Late In The Night

Prompt (From Pinterest) used in the story:

"Well, aren't you just a little hero."

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Hugo snuck in through the window.  He made it three steps before the room lit up with multiple torches.  Startled, he jumped as he gasped, turning back to the window.

"Leaving before you have a chance to even explain?"

Hugo winced, gripping the straps to his satchel.  He turned back around to find Donnella leaning against the doorway.  There was a lever on the wall that turned the torches on all at once.  He remembered helping her make it and was now regretting that.

Donnella raised a brow when he said nothing.  She pushed herself off the wall, walking past him.  He remained silent, not daring to even glance in her direction again.  He could hear as she closed the window.

"The way I see it," she began, "You were supposed to report three days ago.  Was that why you were here?"

"Er... yes..." he looked down at his feet, nervously rubbing his arm.

"Huh, I wonder how you were going to do that without running into me, because clearly, you weren't intending  to see me.  Is it safe to assume you have already explained everything by letter?"

"..."  Hugo sighed.

"Well?  I haven't got all night.  Oh, wait, it's one in the morning, my bad.  We're past that so I guess you minus well take your time!"  Donnella said in a harsh sarcasm.

"I was going to write one over there," he said at last.

"Is that so?  I don't think so.  If you didn't want to see me to go through all this trouble, you already have the letter written, don't you?"  She grabbed his chin, glaring into his eyes.

The boy gulped.  He looked down, trying not to look into her sharp eyes that would read anything that popped in his mind.

"That's what I thought."  Donnella released him.  "Well, make this easier and just hand over the letter."

Slowly, Hugo began to search in his bag frantically thinking about some way to keep her from reading it.  It was going to tell her how he was done with everything an that he was done being her slave to go about her bidding.  She was supposed to read it while he was far, far away so she couldn't kill him.

He found the letter.  For once, he actually remembered to bring it.  Just his luck.  Glancing at the fireplace behind Donnella, he quickly formed a plan.  Grabbing an empty envelope with his right hand, he pulled it out, dashing to the fire.  As he suspected, Donnella thought he'd make that move and caught his hand with the envelope.

She pried out the fake envelope with her free hand, while Hugo used his free hand to throw the real letter in the fire.  Donnella froze as Hugo gave a chuckle of relief and momentary victory as he saw the split second where shock was on her face.  Then that moment ended and her eyes darkened, sending chill up Hugo's spine.

"Think you're so clever?" She hissed as released him and backhanded him across the cheek in the same movement.  Hugo stumbled backwards from the blow, gritting his teeth as he looked at her.

"Aren't you just a little hero," she spat.  "Trying to help your little friends!  I've warned you about them Hugo!"  She advanced towards him as he back away.

"You're wrong!" Hugo shouted.  "And you can't change my mind!"  His back hit the wall.

"Is that a fact?"  Donnella towered over him.

Hugo clenched his fists.  He lowered his head as he gritted his teeth.  He hated himself for the tear that were building in his eyes from the fear of what was to become of him.  What was to become of the others because he was stupid enough to return.

Donnella grabbed his jaw, yanking his head up.  "Then we should test and see if that's a true fact."

◇◇◇◇◇◇

To be continued if I find or am given a prompt that sparks a continuation.

Donnella, woman!  You really give me the chills!