||Tree House||

My sandals slapped against the hard floors of the castle as I flurried down the halls to get back to the main room.

I felt like I had a herd of butterflies in my tummy. Each flutter of their wings tickled my sides and made me giggle like a crazy person.

Just thinking about him made me feel all gooey and warm, I could feel the heat radiating from my cheeks as his name echoed in my head.

Azrael

It was such a beautiful name—a powerful one at that. And my mate was both of those things. How did I get so lucky?

I nibbled on my thumb as I entered the circular room, hoping that I would be able to contain the fits of giggles that happened to take over every so often.

As exciting as everything was, a part of me wanted to keep the knowledge of finding my mate to myself. I wanted to get to know him without worry of anything else. At least for a little bit.

"Rose, where did you run off to? I've been so worried."

Freya wrapped her arms around my frame and I happily returned the gesture.

"I just left to find the washroom but got a little lost. You know me and my directions."  I giggled nervously and looked away from her peering eyes, both of us knowing how terrible of a liar I was.

"Rose, you don't have to lie to me. I'm your best friend."

My eyes widened and I flashed my head to face hers, my bottom lip quickly finding its way between my teeth.

"I-I'm not lying." I protested weakly.

"I know that you didn't get lost Rose."

"You do?" I squeaked, my fingers starting to fidget with my pink curls.

"You were staying away because of what happened after the dance, right? What Clover did was wrong. Everyone else was mad at her after you left. But don't worry, we made her cover for you when Elder Amis asked questions and she also promised to apologize."

My heart stuttered in my chest at her words and I wanted to sigh in relief. She hasn't discovered my true secret.

"O-oh y-yeah, yes. I was upset...but I'm feeling much better now. Much better." I stumbled and nodded with a little too much urgency.

Freya still rose a brow at me but I gripped her hand in mine and squeezed it in reassurance.

"I'm fine, I promise."

Her blue eyes looked satisfied at my words, given that I wasn't lying in that regard. I did feel better. I felt the best I ever had—I felt whole.

"Come, someone has something to say to you."

I nod and follow her lead, taking the chance to look at my surroundings. I immediately notice that all the royals that were previously on their thrones were now gone, leaving only the guests to mingle in the room.

The atmosphere wasn't as electric compared to when I was there earlier, so I assumed that things were coming to an end.

"Rose" A soft voice called.

I turned to see that Clover was standing to the left of me, with a guilty look on her heart shaped face.

I noticed that she wrung her fingers as she stood there, a nervous tick that we both seemed to have in common.