• Chapter Four •

𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒐
• ———— •

The kids headed straight to the kitchen after the tour, Winter peering around the room in interest. It was incredibly clean and very modernised, nothing that he's ever seen before. Being in such a rich home was still very odd to him. He didn't think he'd ever get used to it.

"Oh! Clothes" Sage acknowledged Winter's new outfit, "I didn't even think about that! Thanks for being five steps ahead, you two" he sent his kids smiles and they shrugged it off.

"They even gave me a single pencil" Winter drawled, leaning on the wall. Cora snorted and Ezra blushed, "I would've given you more..." he pointed out, Winter curled his lip. "And I said I don't want anymore"

"Inside jokes aside" Kennedy pushed off the counter, "everyone into the dining room. Dallas and his infection will be over soon"

The teenagers went off without fuss, sitting down at the long glossy wooden table. Ezra and Cora sat next to each other with two spare seats either side of them. There were ten chairs all together, two at the heads, four on equal sides. "Why is it so big?" Winter muttered, taking the chair opposite Cora. "To fit our family in get togethers. Kennedy and Xai always sit at the ends, Hazel and Tommy sit across from us, our dad and Dallas sit either side of them, then Dallas and Sage's mom sit here" Cora hit the chair next to them, "while Kennedy's father sits next to Ezra" they explained quite happily.

Winter nodded slowly, "so... what about Sage and Dallas' dad?"

Cora didn't answer for a moment, shifting their fork awkwardly. "We don't hear much about him. Apparently he wasn't a great guy"

Winter nodded again, this time in understanding. "Xai's parents...?" He tried but could guess the answer. Cora slowly shook their head and Winter didn't ask further, falling back in his seat.

Silence enveloped them. Winter didn't mind, everyone was usually quiet around him to avoid setting him off or to not start an awkward conversation. He's accepted the fact he didn't appear exactly welcoming or... nice.

The doorbell echoed throughout the house, Winter glanced at the doorway of the room curiously, as if waiting for an explanation. "That must be them" Ezra commented, a smile lifting his features. He loved his cousins as much as his sibling.

"I'll get it!" Sage called, he had walked out the kitchen and down the hallway, opening the door wide for the family of four. "Winter killed anyone yet?" Xai instantly asked, stepping in after everyone. Sage rolled his eyes, "no, and he won't. He'll grow on us and we'll grow on him, it'll take time, that's all" he explained. Xai didn't look convinced yet went against arguing, following his husband and children through to the dining room.

"Oh.." Tommy hesitated, noticing his seat was taken. Winter cocked his eyebrow, "problem?"

"No, no" he waved off, "ha, what? Why would there be a problem? I've never sat there before in my life" he chuckled, zooming to the chair beside Ezra, nearly collapsing into the boy who scowled. Winter snorted, toying with his butter knife absentmindedly. "Right... you're almost as good a liar as an idiot" Tommy upturned his lips but stayed silent, sending hushed whispers to Ezra who rolled his eyes.

"Insult him again and you'll be shovelled under snow, kid" Xai retaliated in a deadly calm voice, Winter's head tipped back to stare at him. "Teach him to be a better liar and I won't have to" he mocked. Xai took a step forward but Dallas quickly intercepted, holding his hand to his chest and towards Winter who shifted back. "Alright you two! Yeesh! Keep the testosterone to a minimum" he warned, eyeing both of them sternly.