• Chapter Ten •

𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒐
• ———— •

A soft groan filled the otherwise quiet room. Hands groping across the mattress until they clutched the end of a blanket, yanking it up and back over their body. For Winter, mornings were the worst. Especially when laying in bed felt so incredible. The warmth pressing gently against his body, face smushed into a plump feather pillow, silent solitude, completely alone.

Why would he ever want to leave?

Then he remembered what day it was. The thirtieth of November. Allowance day.

Stripping himself down from his pyjamas he tore on a random outfit and rushed out the room, practically throwing himself down the staircase and into the kitchen where Sage and Kennedy were waiting, sipping their coffee.

"You're up early" Sage commented, amusement gleaming in his eyes.

Winter shrugged it off, leaning on the counter nonchalantly, internally he was ecstatic. From the money he earned answering their questions on day one, to the twenty five bucks Xai handed over, and the extra ten from Tommy a few days ago? He had accumulated eighty five dollars, after today he'd have one hundred and eighty five. That's the most money he's had in two years!

It was the only thing he's looked forward to, between shooting and playing piano of course. Those activities generally keep him occupied. Originally he assumed he wouldn't touch the things, but now he couldn't stay away. Everyone adored his music so much they never complained, leading to him practicing for hours on end, getting a feel for all the keys and starting to get into the swing of sheet reading. It sometimes felt he was back in the orphanage, quiet and lonely, yet distracted with a breathtaking serenade.

He'd certainly use what he had to his advantage now, no matter how many times Sage and Kennedy denied an eventual 'kicking out' he didn't believe it. One day they'd get sick of him.

"After the kids come back from school you can all go to the mall" Kennedy suggested, idly flicking through the morning newspaper. Winter looked out the window, scowling. "Can't I go alone?"

Sage frowned, "didn't you all agree to spend your first allowance together?"

"Yeah, but... I could get a head start" he shrugged off, Sage took a quick glance at Kennedy, silently communicating with each other. They vividly remembered the scene from the restaurant, trusting Winter to leave the house by himself didn't seem like a smart decision right now. Especially if a group of kids who're anything like 'O'Conner' were out there, Sage didn't want him leaving the house at all.

"No" Kennedy pressed firmly, Winter groaned and held his face in his hands. "I'll be fine, Sean said-!"

"We are taking into consideration what Sean said" Sage cut him off, eyes narrowed sternly. "But that doesn't mean we trust you yet. What do you need to do that can't be done with the others?" He then interrogated, Winter leaned back and sneered, crossing his arms. He knew when he was defeated. He wouldn't continue the argument, he'd simply have to come up with something else later.

"Nothing" he grunted, Sage nodded. "That's what I thought, they'll be free later" he dismissed.

Winter didn't move just yet, slowly looking back towards the two men. Sage was leaning over Kennedy's shoulder, reading from the same article he was. It seemed interesting if their concentrated expressions gave anything away.

In that moment of peacefulness Winter wanted to admit to them. Admit what he had planned to do. With so much money he could not only pay back O'Conner what he owed, but bribe him further to leave him alone. For good. He found a place that could help him and he didn't want to screw it up. However if he brought along the others it could be dangerous, they'd have targets painted onto their heads.