• Chapter Thirteen •

𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒐
• ———— •

"Good morning" Kennedy murmured groggily to Winter as the latter trudged his way through the kitchen, early sunlight pouring through the windows. He slumped on the chair against the counter, propping his head up on his chin. 

"Mornin'" he replied gravely, eyes half open, gazing at the wall. Neither of the two were 'morning people', that was for sure. That and the lingering atmosphere of last night still perpetuated the walls, giving an uncomfortable, heavy and almost tense feel to every room.

After the teenagers shared their private conversation Cora and Ezra hid themselves away in their bedroom, Winter settling down in the conservatory for hours to think. It was odd not to hear a lullaby from the piano, or Sage calling Winter inside after he spent too long in the cold shooting his target. The only time they all appeared together was during dinner, in which Sage and Kennedy took hold of most conversations, the three teenagers quietly eating their food and only speaking when spoken too.

The adults didn't attempt to pry for information, allowing everyone to take an early nights rest. It was worrying, incredibly so, but they trusted their children. Maybe a bit too much.

Once Kennedy finished making his coffee he took a seat at the counter, slowly sipping the bitter black liquid. They didn't talk to each other for a few minutes, sitting in a odd quietness. Distantly they could hear the spray of a shower, Sage no doubt upstairs getting ready for the day - being the morning person he is everyone was used to it.

Every so often cars sloshing down the road would manage to slip through gaps in the doors and windows, just reaching their ears and reminding them of where they were.

Kennedy wanted to understand the situation, wanted Winter to open up to them, but asking him to do such a thing before he's ready would only push him farther away.

He dropped it, begrudgingly.

"Any plans for the day?" He pondered, tilting his coffee side to side.

Winter yawned, reaching back to scratch his neck. "No, no...maybe" he shrugged, his cheek moulding against the palm of his hand. "Might go on a walk. Clear my head" he shrugged, pushing his lips to the side in thought. Kennedy nodded slowly, placing the mug down atop the counter.

"Maybe you could walk Ez and Cora home for a few weeks" he suggested, picking a loose thread from his woolly jumper sleeve. "Until Christmas break. Keep them safe" he added, watching Winter for his response. He was slow in his movements, eyes narrowing slightly before they fell lax, closing for a long minute.

"Sure" he finally grunted, fighting off sleep desperately trying to lull him back to bed. "Yeah. Sure" he sounded a bit more agreeing, relieving Kennedy. He didn't know what it would take to get these strangers off his children's back, but all he could do for now was make sure they'll be safe.

"Thanks, Winter"

He hummed dismissively, lowering his head into his arms and dozing off. Smiling fondly Kennedy finished his coffee, ruffling up Winter's hair before rising from his place and washing out the empty mug, leaving it to dry on the rack. He looked so calm, sleeping there, seemingly without a worry. He appeared like he did when they first met him, curled up on the couch surrounded by blankets. Only difference now was how healthy he looked.

After spending some weeks with them he gained back weight, once visible bones hidden behind mush of skin, muscle definition returning to his arms. He seemed more colourful too, lips a healthy pink, eyes shinier blue- and his hair. Cora begged and begged to be allowed to help him fix his hair, in the end Winter didn't have the energy to say no and allowed Cora to do as they pleased. He didn't regret it. Now his curls weren't so lifeless and stringy, they held themselves like healthy springs, bouncing across his head whenever he moved. Instead of brushing after the shower he'd comb it through, dry with a t-shirt, rub in some creams Cora had given him and scrunch up the curls, afterwards leaving it to dry.