02. Cash

I was nine when I stood in the muddy grass, looking at her. She had her head down, her hair was soaked from the rain but she didn't seem to care. She was wearing a short black dress with white socks that had frills and black shiny shoes.

Luna Hayes. I knew her as the girl who used to swing her legs while she sat at her desk at school. Our mom's were very good friends and we would always climb into the treehouse in my backyard and look at the stars. Luna always told me she liked the moon and I believed her.

"Pay attention," my mom had whispered to me. I averted my gaze from Luna back to the casket being lowered into the ground. I looked back at Luna through the hair covering my forehead and saw her looking back at me.

I thought she was really pretty. She was holding hands with her aunt and I watched her dad walk over to my mom and me. Him and my mom started whispering to each other. I didn't mean to listen in but I did anyways.

"How are you doing?" My mom had whispered.

"Hanging in there," Luna's dad, Eric I think his name was, spoke. "I'm ready to drop her off."

Drop who off? Luna? Where's she going?

"The adoption agency? Are you sure that's what you want to do?" My mom asked.

Adoption agency?

"You know I have no other option. I can't take care of Luna on my own," Eric responded. I watched as people slowly started to disperse, brushing my hair out of my eyes.

"I know, Eric. But is this what Monica would want?" My mom asked. I knew Monica to be Luna's mom. She would always be tired and drinking out of a bottle whenever Luna and I would play together.

"Who knows? Shes could barely take care of Luna herself," Eric sighed and placed a hand on my shoulder, gathering my attention. "You've gotten so big, Cash," I didn't answer, just showed a crooked smile.

Eric then walked away, taking Luna's hand. My mom took my own and led me to our car. She buckled my seatbelt and got in the front seat, starting the car.

"Mom?" I asked, fidgeting with the buttons on my shirt. "Is Monica in a better place?" I asked.

"Yeah, bud, she is," my mom answered softly.

"Is Luna going to get adopted?" I couldn't stop myself from asking. My mom took a long time to answer and I was about to tell her to forget about it when she spoke up.

"I don't know," I nodded to her answer before she continued, "her mom did some bad things to herself and didn't get help."

"Eric doesn't want her?" I asked.

"You're asking a lot of questions, Cash," my mom let out a breathy laugh.

"Can we adopt Luna?" My voice was quiet as my mom turned down the street, the rain coming down harder now.

"Why would we do that, bud?" My mom asked. She stopped at a red light and looked back at me for a couple seconds.

"Because," I paused, sighing, "if she gets adopted by someone, I want it to be someone who will take care of her. What if a complete stranger doesn't take care of her?" I asked. I knew Luna was a smart girl so no matter what happened to her, she'd be okay.

"She'll be okay, Cash. Don't worry about her," my mom pulled into our driveway and I got out, using my jacket as a way to shield myself from the rain. What my mom didn't know was that I did worry. I worried about Luna until about a week later when my mom told me good news.

"Hey, bud, just thought I'd let you know that Luna is staying with her aunt," my mom spoke as I sat at my desk, trying to get through my math homework.

"Will her aunt take care of her? How long is she staying there for?" I felt myself asking.

"Her aunt will take very good care of her," my mom smiled. "Luna will be staying with her aunt for a while. Is that okay with you?" My mom asked and I nodded.

"Yeah," I felt happy knowing Luna was safe. "That's okay with me."

---

this was a short chapter but i just wanted to do a cash pov from when he was young

if anyone is confused i got you;

- luna's mom (monica) did bad stuff to herself like smoking and drinking. she never got help and that caused her to die

- luna's dad (eric) doesn't think he can take care of luna alone because he barely did when her mom was alive so he wanted to put her up for adoption

- luna's aunt (auntie jen) offers to take care of luna out of love. she doesn't want her niece to end up in an adoption agency when jen's perfectly taking care of her niece

- monica and tara (cash's mom) were very good friends and that's how luna and cash know each other

- cash wanted to adopt luna because he's young and just wants her to be safe

i think that's all lmk if i missed anything :) and let the real story begin