08. Cash

My Luna? What did I even mean? I was so caught up in the adrenaline of being with Luna that I couldn't comprehend what I was saying. As if I was drunk off of the air she surrounded herself with.

"Alright, boys we have a home game tomorrow so I want all of you to be ready." I tried to concentrate on what the coach was saying but to be honestly, I couldn't.

We all stood on the field in a circle, my cleats digging into the dirt and my jersey dirty from practice. I let my mind wander once again to the girl who I knew was watching me from the parking lot. I turned my head slightly to see if I was right, and I was. She was standing, cigarette between her lips and her white hair cascading down her shoulders.

"Dude, focus." Josh bumped his body into mine and spoke in a whisper, knowing how angry our coach got when we interrupted him. He clapped loudly, dispersing the circle of boys and we all headed into the dugout to grab our bags.

"Look, I know you like her but think about it." Josh spoke in a low voice as we headed back out of the dugout with our bags swung over our shoulders. "Think about your reputation at this school. You don't want to be caught with her," Josh gestured to Luna.

"I'll see you for the game tomorrow," I dismissed the conversation. Both of us headed towards Luna, Josh sending me a look before walking by. I stopped, however, to come face to face with Luna. Her hazel eyes meeting mine and a small smile playing on her lips.

"Hey," I breathed out.

"Hi." She answered, rocking back and forth on the balls of her feet.

"Coming to the game tomorrow?" I asked and Luna nodded quickly.

"Wouldn't miss it," she spoke. I let a smile creep onto my lips before jogging over to where Sam was hauling his baseball bag into the trunk of his car.

"You really like her," he pointed out. I leaned against the side of his car and scoffed.

"It doesn't matter." I answered, watching from a distance as Ashley ran over and jumped on Luna's back. Both girls giggled and headed to Luna's car that was on the other side of the parking lot.

"Yes it does." Sam slammed the trunk of his car closed, making me jump. I stood straight up, palms wiping on my thighs as Sam headed for his front seat.

"Not to her." I shook my head, eyes still on Luna as her and Ashley sat on the trunk of her car. They were talking but I couldn't understand or hear what they were saying.

There's no way Luna likes me. She does things like pushes shopping carts into the middle of the road and smokes cigarettes. She doesn't go to class on time yet she hasn't been kicked out of school yet. But I liked her. I liked how dangerous she was. She had a rough past, and I did too. But I wanted to look past that, I wanted to be with her from now on.

I wanted to be her future.

---

"Eyes on the ball, Baker!" My coach yelled. It was the last inning, bases were loaded, and all the pressure was on me. If I were to hit the ball hard enough, we could win. I just had to bring home my teammates on second and third.

I felt everyone's eyes on me, without even looking at them. My hands were sweaty inside my batting gloves and if I wasn't wearing them, I was sure the bat would've slipped out of my hands. The pitcher wound his arm back, making me get into my stance. He released the ball from his hands and it came like it was in slow motion, right into my bat.

I swung, hard, and heard the crack of metal against my bat. I dropped the bat, and ran without stopping. I rounded all the bases and finally let in the sounds to my ears, the crowd cheering. I let my teammates crowd around me, some patting my back and a few smacking the helmet on my head.