「Episode 23」

Hyunsuk:
So...

Hyunsuk opens his mouth to say something. But his hesitation makes me nervous.

Hyunsuk:
You wanna hear the whole story or get straight to the point?

Me:
The whole story.

Hyunsuk:
Alright. You remember when we talked about leaving here together? It was a good thing we didn't.

He darts nervous glances around the classroom.

Hyunsuk:
You know, I got so angry at the meeting and I went to my classroom. I was like 'screw this!' and then about to get the heck out of here. So I picked up my backpack to leave, but then I suddenly got scared. Man...this is so embarrassing...

Me:
Not, it's not. Of course you get scared. Anyone would have. I'm glad you didn't leave.

Hyunsuk:
So I sat down and thought about it for a minute...If you had said 'yes' and we'd left here...I think that would have been a huge mistake for us. We'd have regretted it. Leaving like that out of anger...with nowhere to go. Phew, can you imagine? And I also thought about what you said before. How it's better to have some place to stay than being alone. Sorry, I didn't mean to bore you with all this...

I shook my head.

Me:
Thanks for telling me this. And thanks for staying.

Hyunsuk:
Anyway...remember when I called out Seunghun back in Jihyo's classroom?

Me:
Yup.

Hyunsuk:
I actually...found this there.

Hyunsuk asks me for my hand. Then he drops something on my palm...a button?

Hyunsuk:
Looks familiar?

Of course. I've seen this golden button on school uniforms. And the only person wearing a uniform here is...

Me:
Does this belong to...Seunghun?

Hyunsuk:
Yeah. I don't know why it was there...I mean it doesn't make sense. But...I feel like I shouldn't talk to him about this then.

Me:
You did the right thing. We can't make any hasty judgements. Especially at times like this...

Hyunsuk:
Right...But I don't really get it. I'm too confused. You're smart. Tell me what you think.

Me:
But this is really strange...Seunghun and Jihyo are not even that close.

Hyunsuk:
Exactly!

Me:
I mean...it is strange but, we need more information. A small button...is not enough to draw any conclusion.

Plus, I can't just ignore what Jihyo said about Byounggon.

Hyunsuk:
How are you gonna get more information?

Me:
I must find it myself.

Hyunsuk:
I know this is too obvious to ask but...Isn't it too dangerous to do this on your own?

Me:
I'm sure I'll be fine.