Chapter Twenty

Everything else has disappeared, they were the only people left, and the only thing he can hear was his wild heartbeat. He was frozen in place, and the only feeling left was that of his heart hammering against his ribcage.

Hindi inaalis ni Stefan ang tingin kay Jendra.  Akala niya ay handa na siya. Matapos ang halos dalawang buwang paglalakbay na dinala siya sa wakas sa isang desisyon. Inakala niyang kapag nasa harap na niya si Jendra ay madali na ang lahat.

Damn it, he can't even move! God, she was even more beautiful than he remembered. She gained a few pounds maybe but it looked amazing on her. She's glowing! Screw professionalism, he will gaze at this woman and commit every detail to memory.

And... she's pregnant?

He was doing, a quick computation on his head as he managed to approach her, holding out his hand. Hindi niya alam  kung paano niya iyong nagawa, at bahagya na lang nag-register sa kanya ang mga sinasabi mg AD.

"Agent Jendra Palomar. I'm looking forward to working with you."

Her voice never changed. There's still the quiet authority of someone who's been through a lot and is practically an expert in her field. Her handshake was still firm. Pero parang may lakaiba pa din kay Jendra.

"Stefan West." nagawa niyang masabi. Halos hindi siys kumukurap. "I've heard... I knew a lot of good things about you." I missed you.

Tumaas lang ang isang kilay ng babae habang napapatango. May ilan pang ibimilin ang AD bago sila hinayaang makalabas. The next thing he knew, they were walking side by side towards the elevator with his one hand splayed on her lower back.

"Our office is in the second floor." narinig niyang sabi ni Jendra nang nasa elevator na sila. He pressed the number 2 button, and just kept glancing at her throughout their descent. She looked content, at peace but also seemed lonely.

"May ID ka na?" she nudged him gently.

Napakurap lang sya, bago pinaraan ang card sa slot at sandaling inilapat ang palad sa screen ng digital panel sa tabi ng pinto. Kasunod niyon ay mabagal na tinipa ni Jendra ang passcode para makita niya.

"Got it." he breathed,then pushed the door open. And as soon as they were in, he did what any sane man who missed the love of his life do -- he kissed her.

Jendra didn't protest, and kissed him back after  a couple of seconds. She cupped his face, a thumb traced circles on his jaw, making him pull her even closer, or as much as her condition would allow.

Oh, god I'm kissing her again! Their mouths opened up against each other, their tongues duelled as their breaths, their sighs mingled. He never wanted it to end.

Hanggang sa maramdaman niya ang paghigpit ng hawak nito sa kanya, kasunod ang pagsinghap.

And he felt it too, something that seemed to move and bump between them.

"Oh my God, baby..." she gasped as she broke from the kiss.

Parang may sariling isip ang mga kamay  niya na lumapat sa tiyan nito. May sumipa ulit. At isa pa. Parang tumalon ang puso niya, kasabay ang tila paninikip ng dibdib. At pamamasa ng mga mata.

He began to speak again. "How far along --'

"Seven months." mahinang sabi ni Jendra, may kaunting pag-aalala sa mukha.

'Our library baby." bulong niya.

"Yes." her voice broke. "Yes.'

"Hey," he cupped her face. "Bakit ka umiiyak? I'm here."

"Akala ko, wala ka na. O hindi na tayo magkikita." ginamit ni Jendra ang likod ng palad para dampian ang luha. "Na kung magkikita man tayo, baka galit  ka sa 'kin at maiintindihan ko, Pa-- Stefan." huminga ito ng malalim. "Stefan."

"Matapos mong iligtas ang buhay ko, magagalit pa 'ko sa iyo?" masuyong hinaplos ni Stefan amg buhok at mukha niya. "You're the reason why I'm still here. God, Jendra, I can't believe you put yourself out there." his lips quivered.

"I was only mad because I had no idea who you really were. Pinanghawakan ko ang kuwento mo. Nagalit lang ako kasi nawalan ako ng kontrol sa sitwasyon, pero hindi ko rin pala talaga kaya. At natakot din ako noon, akala ko handa akong mamatay pero mas hindi ko pala kayang hindi ka na ulit makita."

"Hindi ko inasahan at lalong hindi ko pinlano..." napailing ang babae. "I was there to do my job. Not that I'm blaming  you," bumuntung-hininga ito. "Pero wala akong pinagsisisihan. I kind of wish we met under normal circumstances, though."

Matamang minasdan niya ito. "Is there someone else now, Jendra?" Kinakabahang tanong niya.

"What? No!" She shook her head furiously. "No. Never, Stefan." sinalubong nito ang mga mata niya. "After you, there  can't be anyone else. Parang imposible."

Relieved na bumuntung-hininga siya. "Oh, God. I  thought," he laughed ruefully. Takot na yata siyang iwan muli. "Then you're now really looking forward to working with me?"

Tumango ito. "And here I was thinking  you'd never want this kind of life again."

"If it means being with you, if it's the kind of life you want, then I'd love to be in it, too."

Bumahid ang pag-aalala  kay Jendra. "Seryoso ka, Stefan? Kasi hindi rin naman kita itataboy sa buhay ko kahit wala ka sa UIN. How can I get rid of the father of my child," she paused, eyes smiling. "The man I love?"

He blinked, then gazed at her for a few more seconds to take in what he just heard. Hell, yeah. "At bakit pa ako lalayo? Why would I miss the chance to always be with the beautiful mother of my child, the woman I love sooo much?" he glanced at her belly, laid a hand on it, then gazed lovingly at her. Man I'm really here. Nothing and no one can get me off this place anymore. This is home.

"Honestly, Stefan?" unti-unti nang nabubura ang pag-aalala sa mukha ni Jendra. "Wala akong maisip na dahilan." she leaned up to kiss him. "Stay, please."

He smiled through the kiss. "I intend to."

The End

Thank you for making it this far!

💖 KNBliss