CHAPTER FORTY

ALONSO

It is a few hours after dawn, and Alonso is determined to talk to Crystal. He wants the chance to confide in her and make sure that she is okay before his and Nicholas' men arrive in less than two hours.
He walks towards her room with shaky hands. He does not know why he is scared, but his instincts are on alert as if warning him that something bad is about to happen. He is not certain he can handle if he can handle another bad thing happening to him; he is in enough pain as it is. Grieve is a strong and an imposing feeling; one that Alonso suspect will be his companion for a while.
He knows it is a little immature and perhaps stupid for him to want Crystal to hold him in her arms and assure him that everything will be okay. That single desire is the only thing keeping him from blaming himself for his mother's and friend's deaths.
He knows it is not his fault, but he suspects that it is only a matter of time before he has no one to blame but himself, and he does not want to be alone when that happens. He wants someone, Crystal, to be holding his hand and tell him that it will be okay when it happens. Which is why he wants to talk to Crystal.
He is about to knock in her door, when he hears Nicholas screaming, so his hand freezes a few centimeters away from the door.
"Crystal, are sure about what you are doing?"
"You told me that you will stand by any decision I make!"
"And I will keep my word by Crystal, you are going to break the man who is deeply in love with you!" Alonso knows that they are talking about him, so against his morals, he continues eavesdropping on their private conversation.
"We already talked about this." Crystal replies.
"That was before his mother and best friend died." Lucas' voice reaches Alonso's ears.
"Listen, I am sorry for what happened, I really am. But, I have to think not only about now, but about the future as well. I do not want this to be my life, and this is the kind of life that I will be forced to have if I accept Alonso's love." Something in the Italian man breaks that he has to lean on the wall next to the door to keep from collapsing to the ground.
He had never considered it as possibility, he had never considered the possibility that perhaps she does not love him back. Now, he realizes that it was stupid and reckless of him not to do so.
"So what are you going to do? You will just go to a grieving man who wants nothing but having you by his side and tell him that you do not want him in your life and then you will walk away and never come back?" Nicholas yells at his sister.
"If I have to, then yes." Her tone hurts Alonso more than her words; it is cold; unfeeling.
Tears falls down his face as pain consumes both his heart and mind. He feels like he has finally truly lost everything. When he hiccups during his crying, he immediately pulls away from the wall and runs away from Crystal's room.

The Italian mafia boss ends up in his father's room with both his father and Milo standing before him. He does not bother to attempt to stop his tears from wetting his cheeks and he definitely does not bother to wipe them away.
"I know that it is incredibly selfish of me to have this conversation with you when it has not been twenty four hours since mom..."
"Alonso, look at me." Lorenzo interrupts him, and Alonso obeys his father's order.
"It is not selfish son. For the past decade, you have given and done everything you can to your family and friends. Now, it is time to do what feels right for you." Lorenzo gives his son a sad smile.
Alonso looks down at the ground, still feeling that he is acting irrationally and selfishly, but he feels like he needs to do it.
"Alonso, I can help you make it happen. But I need to ask, are you sure about this move? Once you do it, there is no going back." Milo looks at him while reading his face.
"I am sure." The Italian mafia boss does not hesitate to answer.
"But what if..."
"Let us worry about the 'what ifs' son."
"This is wrong. Mom just died, I cannot ask you to do this." Alonso shakes his head.
"Alonso, it is your life, no one, not even your father, g ets to tell you how to do it." Milo gives him a small encouraging smile.
"And do not worry; your secret will remain between the three of us." His father promises him.
"Indeed." Milo agrees. Alonso stares at the two old men before him before he gives them a nod and hugs his father as tightly as he can.
"Thank you dad."
"Do not thank me, I should have done it a long time ago." Lorenzo pulls away and looks Alonso in the eye.
"I am proud of you Alonso, and I know your mother is as well." He gives his son a smile before completely letting him go. Therefore, fresh tears fall down Alonso's eyes.
"I am... I am going to go and talk with Alberto."
"Come and find me once you are done." Milo tells, Alonso nods before leaving the room.
As he walks to the library, where he knows Alberto is hiding, he passes by the kitchen. He takes a quick peek at Crystal with a sad smile before he goes to talk to his friend.