CHAPTER FORTY ONE

LUCAS

The funeral was held in Italy, Camilla' and Ignazio's home. It was beautiful and did both of them justice. Although it was beautiful, something was missing. Alonso; the Italian mafia boss, or the former mafia boss.
When the Italian and the Brazilian mafia men arrived, Lorenzo announced that both Ignazio and Alonso died I the explosion. Both Lucas and Nicholas tried to correct him, but one look from the older man was enough to make them shut their mouths. Crystal yelled at him that Alonso was alive, that he is okay, but he is just claimed that she is in shock over losing the man she loves.
While the men witnessed, she ran to her father, Zaire, Freya, Alberto and even Leora and begged them to back her up that Alonso was still alive, but no one did. Lucas was confused, but did not say anything because something told him that it was Alonso's choice. Hence, he will not interfere, he will respect his choice; it is his life after all.
Then, Lorenzo declared that with his only son's death he will return to his previous rank as the Italian mafia boss. Leora did not seem to be bothered by that. All she cared about was the fact that the man she is in love with has dead. She looked like a woman who lost her husband of forty or fifty years. But Lucas did not judge; it was none of his business to do so.
To continue the lie Lorenzo started, Alberto declares that unlike Ignazio, they were unable to retrieve his body since it was literally torn apart in the explosion. And his funeral was the same day as Camilla and Ignazio's.
At some point, Lucas and Nicholas tried to question the old man about what he is doing, but the only reply they got was to keep what they know to themselves. At first, they were not willing to do so, but Milo begged Nicholas to do what Lorenzo asked.
Lucas does not know what Milo said to make his son obey without asking any questions but what made Lucas agree is the fact that Zaire handed him an envelope. It had his name on it and a note demanding that he does not open it until after the funeral.
Now, Lucas stands before a one story house in the country side of the smallest cities in Scotland. A place no mafia has ever been to; the perfect hiding spot for a mafia boss who is believed to be dead.
Lucas knocks on the door and waits for a few minutes before the huge wooden door opens and Alonso appears before him.
"You son of a bitch." Lucas mutters before pulling him in a hug.
"Come in so we can talk." The Italian man pulls away and gestures for Lucas to step inside.
"That is a nice place you got there." Lucas looks around the house with amusement. It is definitely old fashioned, but it does have a television and he can see Alonso's laptop on the couch in the living room.
"Yeah, Milo helped me procure it." They sit in the living room in silence for a few minutes before Lucas finally asks the one question he has been asking himself since the morning Lorenzo announced his death a little over a week ago.
"Why?"
"The list is long Lucas, and I honestly would rather not talk about it." Only then does Lucas notice the redness in his eyes, the bags under them, and how pale he is. Alonso is hurting, and Lucas has a good guess on why.
"Then why did you give Zaire a letter to deliver to me? I mean the letter basically ordered me to come to this address."
"I... needed to tell you and ask you for a favor."
"You want me to make sure that neither Nicholas nor Crystal find out where you are." The Italian man only nods.
"I think not bringing me here would have been a better idea."
"Look, I do not expect for Crystal to come looking for me, but I know that Nicholas will not stop until he finds out where I am and why I faked my death."
"You are his friend, of course he is searching for you!"
"Find a way to stop him Lucas, please!"
"I cannot betray my brother Alonso."
"I am not asking you to betray him, I am asking you to convince him that this was my choice and I do not wish to be found."
"Is this about Crystal?" Lucas looks Alonso in the eyes not giving him a chance to escape the question.
"I do not wish to talk about it."
"Alonso, she mis..."
"No, I do not want to talk about her. I know exactly how she feels around me, and I do not need a reminder about it." His voice is harsh and hurt.
"What do you mean?"
"It does not matter."
"You heard us talking that morning..." Lucas realizes. The silence is all the answer the Brazilian man needs.
"How much of the conversation did you hear?" Lucas knows for certain that he did not hear the entre conversation.
"I heard enough."
"No, I do not think you did Alonso." Lucas gives him a sympathetic look.
"Lucas, please... I cannot handle it. I am in enough pain as it is. Please do not make me talk about her." His voice cracks as he fights off his tears.
"Promise you will not tell anyone where I am."
"What do you mean? Who exactly know where you are?"
"Only Milo." So I need you to promise me to keep my secret please."
"I will, I promise." He promises knowing very well that he will not keep his word.
"Why not tell your father where you are? He is the one who helped fake your death after all."
"If he does know where I am, then the next time he faces a problem, he will be tempted to come to me, and I do not want to return to the mafia life even if it was to save his life." Lucas wants to scream and tell Alonso the truth, but he knows he cannot; at least not now.
"Can you stay for a few days? I kind of missing having someone to talk to around."
"Of course I can, Nicholas thinks I am still in Italy. Right after the funeral he went back home." He can tell that Alonso wants to ask about Crystal, but he restrains himself.
"Thank you."
"You do not need to thank me; I will visit you whenever I can." Lucas gives him a forced smile as he recalls that conversation he and Nicholas had with Crystal.

"So what are you going to do? You will just go to a grieving man who wants nothing but having you by his side and tell him that you do not want him in your life and then you will walk away and never come back?" Nicholas yelled at Crystal who looked at him with a blank expression.
"If I have to, then yes." She sat on the edge of her bed while still looking Nicholas in the eye.
"What the hell is wrong with you?" Nicholas tone became louder; more aggressive.
"The question is what the hell is wrong with you?" Crystal got off the bed and stood right before her older brother.
"You do realize that you are basically trying to force me to be with a man I do not desire to be with, right?"
"That is because you are lying." Crystal froze at that.
"What makes you say that?" Her voice somehow got colder; more unfeeling.
"Okay, I think we should all calm down." Lucas got in the middle of the two siblings who looked like they were about to set each other aflame.
"Crystal, do you love Alonso?" She stared at him; taken aback by the question.
"Answer me Crystal. No lying, no facades, no excuses. Tell me the truth do you love him?"
"Of course I love him!" She screamed in Lucas' face as a tear fell down her right eye.
"But... nut do I need to remind you of what happened to Ignazio or to Camilla? Not to mention every messed up thing that has happened ever since this whole mess started. Now I did know about this life before Alonso came into the picture, but I cannot help but think that if I had just gone to my dad instead of getting you involved then everything that has happened so far would not have happened."
"Crystal..." Nicholas tried to calm her down, but she ignored him and continued screaming.
"I am not stupid; I know that when this ends, it will not be truly the end. He is the Italian mafia boss; something like this is bound to happen again in the future, and I do not think I can handle going through something similar not even years from now. I just cannot."
"Then do not." Nicholas told her.
"What?" She turned to her brother.
"Leave the mafia life and ask Alonso to go with you."
"He would neve..."
"Yes he would." Lucas cut her off.
"Look Crystal, it is no secret that Alonso hates the mafia life. The only reason he took his father's place was because his parents wanted to break free from the mafia life. But now after everything that has happened, I am certain his distain towards the mafia life multiplied. He will run away with you." The Brazilian woman wiped her tears with her sleeves as she thought through Lucas' words, and then she nodded.
She started walking towards the door, but Lucas stopped her.
"I think you should go shower before you go and talk to him." He gave her a smirk as Nicholas chuckled at the glare she gave Lucas.
"I agree with him Crystal. You have not showered since you returned with Ignazio's body. You smell like fire, ash, and blood." Crystal cursed at both of them before she headed to the bathroom.

Lucas cannot help but regret making her get showered. Because when she came out, the men had arrived, Alonso was gone, and Lorenzo reclaimed his title.
The worst part is, he will not be able to tell Crystal about the real reason Alonso left, and he promised he would not tell his secret. And opposite to what he initially told himself, he knows he will not break that promise. His only hope, is to give Alonso some time before he tells him the truth and hope that it will not be too late.