Chapter 1

Blind - Chapter 1

Published: November 15, 2020

Updated: September 30, 2021

Clink. Clink. Draco rattled his cup as he heard shoppers pass. Most ignored him, but a few dropped a knut or two in his cup. He didn't bother rasping out pleas for coins. He noticed that it rarely helped and elicited scathing responses. He upset their perfect image of what the new wizarding world should be. Beggars, especially blind beggars in tattered robes, didn't fit in the picture. So, Draco found a different spot every day, because the shopkeepers hated his presence.

Then two coins, sickles he guessed from the sound, dropped into his cup, and he uttered a contrite, "Thank you," in his rough voice. He never used his normal voice, as people might recognize him. It was why he used a blindfold, too. His grey eyes were very unique, as was his name.

"You're welcome. Is there anything I can help you with?" a man's soft voice said. It sounded familiar, and he hated lacking sight to identify this person.

Moreover, he was not used to people initiating conversations with him, except when they ordered him to leave or die. He usually considered both options. Though a few just spoke to him because they wanted to hear more of his praise.

"Thank you, sir. I appreciate the coins," Draco whispered in suitable subserviency. Voldemort loved his slaves to cower and preen for his attention. He was well used to bowing for scraps, now.

"It's not a problem. You're not hungry?" he said.

He was not used to this much talking. "I will use the coins for food, sir. I don't use potions."

"No... I mean... I have a sandwich here. You can have it," he said and gently nudged it against his fingers.

Draco grabbed onto it. It was wrapped in a layer of cellophane. "Thank you," he said, accepting it.

"It's ham and cheese," his philanthropist explained.

"It's perfect, sir. Thank you," he said, bowing.

"You don't have to call me, sir. I'm going to be around here for the next six months on my patrol rotation. I've seen you the last few days, when I was getting trained, and my trainer said you didn't cause any problems."

Crap. An Auror. It might be a junior Auror, but still a badge-carrying member of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

"You're the new constable?" he whispered.

"I guess that's not an inaccurate term."

"You want me to move? I can leave, sir," Draco said, ready to run.

"No! No, you're fine! I just wanted to say hi."

Draco took in a deep breath and was trying not to shake. He was afraid of being found out as normal, law-abiding citizens didn't want a convicted Death Eater roaming the streets unchecked. He technically had to follow any orders given to him from a Ministry officer, too. He didn't want to say anything else, or the constable might ask him more questions. His identity had to stay under the cloak.

"Are you alright?" the friendly constable asked.

"I'm fine, sir. Thank you for the sandwich," he said, trying not to act suspicious. Draco could hear him kneel next to him.

"Hey, you tensed up. It's okay. I'm not going to be a prat, alright? I don't want you to be afraid of me."

That did not reassure him at all. He took carefully controlled breaths and didn't move as he had no defense. The constable had all the power in the world over him.