Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Published: December 19, 2020

Updated: September 30, 2021

Potter refused to accept their explanation, even after Hermione tried to explain exponential growth equations. When he finally resigned himself that it was true, he sulked, pacing or just sitting in the living room, drinking firewhiskey. He was lost, lost for weeks in his own head. He didn't even make breakfast anymore, and Draco couldn't find it in his heart to leave him like that. The wordless interactions they had in the den didn't help snap him out of it. Draco would play with his cube, bring Potter some tea or else just stare into the fire. This was the depression that Weasley and Granger had told him about.

Harry didn't get fired. Of course not. He was the Chosen One. He just got a two-month "suspension". Hermione explained that it was a reward, too. He got the holidays off. Harry found six Death Eater spies at the Ministry. No one cared that he violated the law to do it. She disapproved, but was glad at the ending anyway. Williamson and the others got life sentences after legitimate investigations were completed. Draco was pleased about that.

But Harry's quasi-vacation wasn't going well. It had been nearly a month, and he didn't seem to be coming out of his stupor. Harry was ruled by his guilt and, though Hermione and Ron visited every day, they couldn't get him to come out of it. Harry barely ate what Kreacher made and slept less. Draco kind of hoped he'd snap out of it on his own, but he was beginning to see that he needed to be there for Harry, like Harry had been there for him.

When he brought a plate of eggs and bangers to him, Harry took it and said, "You made breakfast?"

"Well, someone had to pick up the slack."

Harry sighed, sadly, "I'm sorry. I should've...."

"That wasn't me asking for an apology. It's your food, your house. I'm just an expense."

"No, you're not," Harry growled, finally showing another emotion other than sadness.

"Well, I can't exactly contribute to the house, can I?" Draco muttered

"Hermione is working on it."

"Really? I wasn't aware that you were paying attention to what was happening," Draco stated, pointedly.

"What?"

"You've been sitting on this couch for weeks. Care to join the rest of us?"

Harry sputtered, but said nothing.

"Eat your breakfast. All of it."

"I'm not hungry," Harry muttered.

"I didn't ask if you were hungry. Eat it. I ate every sandwich you brought me. You need to eat. Hermione says that you've lost some weight."

Harry took a deep breath. "I will."

"Promise?"

"Yeah, Draco."

"Good."

Draco was not a fan of eating in the den. It wasn't proper, but he ate there with Harry. He even took Harry's plate to the kitchen and brought him back a tea. Potter took it.

"Thank you. I'm sorry... you shouldn't be doing this...."

"Hush," Draco said and felt the seat next to Harry, before sitting down next to him. "It was nothing. But this... was hard." He held out the cube, the completed cube.

"Draco! You did it!" Harry said, his voice full of happiness and life, again.

"It only took a month and a half."