Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Published: December 5, 2020

Updated: September 30, 2021

Draco crawled under the soft blanket after Potter left as he was a little cold, but he couldn't sleep. He was too anxious, so he played with his cube. Potter took over an hour to come back, but he heard him calling from the hallway. He didn't bother responding. His ribs didn't appreciate loud yelling.

"Draco, you up? Sorry, it took longer than expected," Potter said, as though he ran up the steps.

"I survived," he mumbled, leaning against the headboard, his blanket up to his chest.

"I brought...."

"Me," Granger's voice rang out.

Shit. Potter's expert, of course. He tightened up and clenched his left arm to his chest.

"Hello, Malfoy," she said, and he trembled at the name. She walked around to the left side of the bed. "Or should I say Wyvern?"

He lowered his head, and his throat tightened to the point where he couldn't speak.

"Harry's been talking about you for a while. I'll admit I was concerned, too. I looked up some programs to help people in need, but that wouldn't work for you, would it?" she sneered, directly referring to the eighth law. Former Death Eaters cannot apply or receive any Ministry benefits or social services.

"Hermione, he didn't want to be recognized," Harry said, getting a bit defensive.

"And you call yourself an Auror? How did you not notice?" she scoffed, and Draco didn't know if they were fighting or joking around.

"Hey!" he rebuffed. "Will you just remove the curse?"

He could hear practically hear her roll her eyes. "Just remove the curse? Just remove it, huh? Without knowing what it is? I'm not a curse-breaker, Harry. It's a process."

"Please try... for me?" Harry pleaded. Merlin, were they arguing the whole time that he was gone?

"You're going to be the end of me. Fine, well, Malfoy..." she said and grabbed his left arm.

Draco immediately pulled it back to his chest and leaned away from her. He didn't care if she knew who he was. He was not used to people touching him without hurting him.

"Hermione... don't just grab him! He's blind," Harry said, with some disapproval and slowly took his right hand. "You're scaring him."

Hermione's voice was incredulous. "I'm scaring... Malfoy?"

His grip on Potter's hand tightened, and he looked towards Potter. This was how he expected Harry to talk to him when he found out. What he deserved after bullying him for years. He trembled and realized that the Gryffindors didn't say anything for a few minutes. Draco imagined they were communicating somehow without him knowing. Jerks.

"Alright... I'm sorry, Malfoy," she said, now softer, but he still trembled, hearing the name. "Can I see your arm?"

He didn't move and Harry whispered, "I'm right here, okay. She's here to help you, really. She just has a lousy bedside manner."

"I do not..." she started but stopped, likely with a look from Harry.

"Please," Harry whispered, and with his free hand, gently traced his cheek. "I'm right here, okay?"

He nodded and slowly extended his arm toward her, keeping his markdown.

She took ahold of his wrist, gingerly, as though trying not to alarm him. "I'm just scanning you for curse marks, so I can try to identify it. You shouldn't feel anything, okay?"