Part 27

A few minutes after Eric left Demi, the patrols spotted the small southern army. His mate had been right about their numbers, but the twins could only see two of the generals she had described. Apparently, it was the chubby and the gangly generals, and naturally, they were in the middle of their clans, where it was safest. Eric still didn't have names, but it didn't matter, they'd die slowly for Demi's injuries.

Thoughts of his mate brought Eric back to reality. If the southern clans did somehow manage to win this fight, Demi would be killed or be a slave again to these bastards. He wouldn't let that happen, but if he fell or if they lost, the twins and, or, Doyle and Eva would get his mate away. "The clans will be coming out near the healer's tent. I'm not sure if it was planned or not." Parker said as he came up to Eric, "It could be a good thing, the injured could get help quickly and if things go bad you can get to Demi faster." Eric only nodded. He wished to be by Demi's side but knew that he'd only get in the way.

Every warrior was at the edge of the camp, waiting for their enemies to show. All were nervous, especially those with families. The plan was to draw the southern fae out and pick them off with arrows before letting his warriors fight sword to sword in the open field. And that would only work if the cowards came out of the foliage.

There was a possibility that there would be archers waiting in the trees, but Eric had to be willing to take that chance if he was going to protect the camp. All the kids and families were in the middle of the camp with about ten of his best warriors protecting them. Anybody else would be in the healer's tent with Demi. The only thing standing between them and the battlefield would be Eric and his warriors.

"Don't think too hard or you'll get a headache." Eva's voice brought Eric out of his thoughts. She had armor on as did all the warriors, though hers was older and had intricate designs on it that looked like vines, Doyle had the matching set. It had been a mating gift from the twins, almost five years ago.

"Haha, very funny," Eric replied, his tone thick with sarcasm. Eva always seemed to be the one to lighten the mood, even in the worst situations. She looked relaxed all considering, which was about the opposite of her mate. Doyle was tense and it was clear that he didn't want Eva fighting. Eric had to laugh at their diverse moods.

Before Eva could reply a horn sounded from deep within the forest, and all became quiet. Then, suddenly a war cry came from far away and hundreds of fae came charging out of the trees. Archers immediately aimed.

"Hold!" Eric yelled above the southerners. "Hold!" He needed as many to be taken out before they retreated into the woods. "Fire!"

⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯

 By the time Demi heard a horn blow from the forest, she'd fully gone into her calm, and as the injured began to flow in she stayed there, slipping in and out of her body. Demi's magic yanked at the tight leash she'd put on it, wanting to heal everybody in the tent, but she managed to stay focused on the task before her.

Occasionally the twins would check-in and make sure everything was fine, and not wanting to drain their energy Demi kept her replies short. She was sure that they were reporting back to Eric, and for some reason, the thought of him worrying about her in the middle of a battle made her heart leap to her throat. Lovesick puppy, she thought while mentally slapping herself.

Demi's mind wandered while she took care of the injured. She mostly wondered why the battle was so close to her tent, seeing as it was on the opposite side of where the southern fae should've come out. This question in turn made Demi wonder if her father knew about her yet. If he did that would explain why the battle was so close. Then that question made her mind start a dispute on whether or not the male himself was here. Which, to be honest, really scared Demi.

A panicky voice finally brought her back into her own body, "Demi I need your help over here!" Demi looked down briefly at the male before her. Deciding that he'd be fine with somebody else's help, she made her way over to the small female that had called her. Demi immediately knew that the man was bleeding out internally.

"Don't worry, I got it now." She said while gently pushing the female out of the way. "I need some towels, bandages, a clean needle, and thread." Demi had to yell but was instantly given what she'd called for. Letting her magic deal with the internal wounds, Demi cleaned the wound and started closing it, when suddenly there was a loud scream and crash.

She didn't know what was wrong but instinctively grabbed for a weapon and was rewarded with a bow and arrow. Demi wasn't exactly sure how they'd ended up in her hands but didn't think too much about it. The scene before her made her heart drop into her stomach.

The parasite male was in the tent. He had a young female in his arms with a sword to her throat, who Demi recognized as Sotie Cray. Shit. What was she doing here while she was pregnant? Demi hadn't even noticed her amongst the many people who'd come to help. Everybody in the tent had frozen to watch the scene play out.

Demi pointed her arrow at the male and evened her breathing. She was more than prepared to kill the male, but needed to be sure Sotie wouldn't be in the way of the shot. "Well, well, well, what a surprise seeing you here Demetria." The male said while tightening his grip on Sotie.

"What do you want?" Demi covered her panic with a bored tone. "I thought I made it perfectly clear what would happen if I saw you again."

"Yes, yes, I know. But there's someone wanting to see you." A sneer crossed over the male's face and every fae in the room growled. By the look on the human faces, Demi was sure that if they could growl they would be too. "And we don't want to keep him waiting, now do we?"

"No, I guess we don't." Surprise and curiosity lit in many eyes. "But I guess he'll just have to deal with it."

"Now, Demetria, I don't want to kill this lovely female here," Sotie stiffened more if that was possible, "but I'm prepared to if you don't cooperate, little Mori." The only sign of surprise Demi showed at the nickname was a blink. 

"Hard pass, but I'll be sure to get back to you if I change my mind." Demi's sarcasm was starting to kick in, which was never a good sign. "Though I doubt you're going to leave this tent alive."

He laughed at her threat, "Are you so certain of your aim you'd risk–" The male never got to finish his sentence before an arrow went straight through his eye.

"Yes."