Chapter 1

As I sit alone at home with Aunt Marie I feel worried, not many survive from the Spanish flu. Aunt Marie keeps telling me they are fine, but I know that she is worried too.

Later that night I hear a knock at the door and practically sprint down the stairs to get the door. I fling the door open only to see the reporter from the hospital standing in our doorway. "Hello, Miss, is there an adult home?" he asks me with concern in his eyes. "Yes, sir, you can come to sit down if you like," I tell him as I pull the door open a little wider. "That is very kind of you," he tells me as he walks into our little kitchen.

I run up the stairs to get Aunt Marie I shake her awake and fill her in on what's happening. She comes down the stairs with me and greets the man as she sits down. " I am sorry to say ma'am, but I am afraid that Edward Mason sr., Elizabeth Mason, and Edward Mason jr. have died ma'am," he tells us with nothing but sorrow in his eyes.

" I offer my deepest condolences," he tells us as he leaves, Aunt Marie didn't as much shed a tear, I know she is trying to be strong for me. After he leaves she tells me to get right back to bed and that we will discuss this tomorrow.

I don't sleep well that night all I can think of are mom, dad, and Eddie's kind faces gone forever. Never hear mommy or Eddie play the piano again.

When I wake up in the morning I can't face Aunt Marie, so I take a secret passageway Eddie showed me that leads outside. Once I am outside I sprint towards the forest and don't stop. When I finally do I fall to my knees and sob.

"Why do you cry, dear one?" I hear a voice like silk ask me when I look up I see a beautiful woman smiling at me. "Everyone I love is gone, ma'am," I answer her as a few stray tears fall. "How would you like it if you stayed with me?" she asked me with only kindness and sincerity in her eyes. "I would like that very much," I tell her "Well, you have to make a few changes, and it is going to be painful," she tells me. "That is fine by me," I tell her "Ok," she tells me before I go into a world full of pain and peace.

When I do wake I all of my senses are sharper, clearer, and I hear a heartbeat, my heartbeat! "Don't worry, you are still partially human," the woman tells me with a smile, I must look confused, so she explains.

After her explanation I am awestruck, I am half vampire. The woman, Natasha, tells me she always wanted some company to spend her immortal days with. Once she tells me that I feel so bad for her, so I must stay.