IV. BLOODY HANDS & BEASTIARIES

EPISODE 4: THE ABOMINATION
IV. BLOODLY HANDS AND BEASTIARIES

 BLOODLY HANDS AND BEASTIARIES

"I'm starting to think I need to buy a more prominent 'closed' sign." I hear Dr. Deaton say.

"Hello, Alan." Grandpa greets. "It's been a while. The last I heard, you had retired."

"Last I heard you followed a code of conduct." He retorts.

"If you hadn't noticed, this body is one of ours." Uncle Chris tells him.

"I did, I also noticed the gunpowder residue, on his finger tips." Deaton replies, sharply. "So, don't assume I will be swayed by your philosophy just because I'll answer a few questions."

"He was only 24." Uncle Chris says.

"Killers come in all ages." Deaton says, and looks from Grandpa, to me, and as his eyes meet mine, I avert mine to the ground.

"All ages, sizes, and shapes." Grandpa adds. "It's the last one that concerns us."

"How about you tell us what you found?" I ask him.

"See this cut?" He asks, and we nod. "Precise. Almost surgical. But, this isn't the wound that killed him. This had a more..." He trails off, looking for the right word. "Interesting purpose."

"Relating to the spine?" I ask, as the cut was on the back of the head.

"That's right." He nods, and continues. "Whatever made this cut, it's laced with a paralytic toxin, potent enough to disable all motor functions." The he points to the cuts on the chest. "These are the cause of death. Notice the patterns on each side. Five for each finger."

"Each claw." Uncle Chris adds.

"As you can see, it dug in, slashed upward eviscerating the lungs and slicing through the bone of rib cage with ease." He explains.

"Have you ever seen anything like this before?" Uncle Chris asks.

"No." Deaton answers.

"Any idea at all what killed him?" I ask.

"No." He repeats. "But I can tell you it's fast, remarkably strong, and has the capacity to render its victims essentially helpless within seconds."

"So, you're saying we should be cautious?" Uncle Chris asks him. "We get it."

"I'm saying you should be afraid." Deaton corrects. "Be very afraid. Because in the natural world, predators with paralytic toxins use them to catch and eat their prey. This prey wasn't eaten. That means whatever killed him only wanted to kill him. In fact... Killing may be its only purpose."