7 - Sabbath Shopping🛍️

Pure chaos ensured the next morning as the girls got ready for church. Dunni stood in the middle of the frenzy, confusion painted on her face. She had grown up with two sisters and spent the majority of her life in an all-girls household, but this was the most chaotic getting-ready process she had ever had the privilege of witnessing.

Just like an ill-fated relationship, it was over as quickly as it began. A strange calm settled over the room as the girls grabbed their bags ready to go.

"I'm driving," Dolapo announced grabbing the car keys off the counter.

"Shotgun!" Demilade yelled.

"I guess I'm in the back with the rest of the chums," Dami sighed.

"Chums! Who are you calling chums?" Angie frowned at the trio. "Shebi you know I can drive myself to church?"

"We are going to the same place, from the same place. It's better for the environment if we carpool."

"Yeah think of the environment!"

"Yes Angie seat with us chums for the environment," Dunni teased Angie.

"Think of the environment," the girls chorused batting their eyelashes.

Angie snorted. "Let's just go, we are already late."

They rode the elevator to the garage and piled into the girls' white Lexus. The car was so high Dunni felt like she needed a step stool to enter it.

The roads were relatively free so they arrived at church quickly. As they make their way into the auditorium, Dunni is struck by the ease with which they settled into their friendship. The years of silence were erased, like they never happened.

The girls were given a warm welcome as soon as they enter the building, hugs are exchanged, and "welcome back" echoed from every possible angle, loosely followed by "We missed you".

Dunni could not believe the girls attended her church, well it was Angie that introduced her to the church but still. She didn't know how she could have been so blinded by her assumptions. All the time wasted zoomed past in her mind. But she pushed them away, choosing to focus instead on their newfound camaraderie.

They settled in and soon service was on the way. Dunni felt peace like a river fill her heart as the worship team led them to the presence of God. Her spirit was calm, her heart focused.

However, the calm in her mind also meant that the worries that had been silenced by her noisy mind now stood centre stage. The moment pastor Dan climbed the altar, all the troubles broke loose of their bindings and began to fly unhindered in her brain. All her worries descended on her mind and anxiety started brewing below the surface.

She tried to force her mind to focus on the words the pastor spoke but it was gone. Ironically, the pastor was teaching about worries, but she only caught snippets, the message didn't sink into her heart. She promised herself to go back and listen to the message when she got home.

Her major worry was the job. She just needed to know whether or not she got the interview. The wait was killing her, she pulled out her phone, opened her email and hit refresh. She waited for the new mail to load, she looked through the new mail disappointed when she didn't see a mail with the company's name. She checked every folder, spam, promotions, everything, just to be sure that it didn't get lost. Still nothing.

She sighed as she hit refresh again, it felt like she had been hitting refresh on her email ever since she applied for the job. It was why she ran smack into Mr Tux and Shiny Shoes at the party, the only time she had not been so worried about the job was when she was chatting with the mystery man at Art's Heart. Even his subsequent betrayal had sent her worries out of her mind.