The Dress

He didn't know why, but he was drawn to it. Like a plant to the sun. It wasn't the fanciest, or the frilliest. It wasn't the simplest, or the shiniest. It was just, average. Just like him.
          It was cottony, like a t-shirt. And it had a white, color spotted top. With tank sleeves and a small light blue bow on a green ribbon that separated the top from the skirt. The skirt of the dress was light gray and covered with a cat-face pattern.
          Objectively, it was nothing special. It wasn't one of a kind, or designer or something. No. It was just, him.
          Tyler-Arther took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and took the dress.
          He walked over to his stepmom with his eyes looking down and the dress behind his back. He said to her "Mom, I-I've found something to try on."
"Okay honey." She said. "What is it?"
          He hesitantly removed the dress from behind his back and showed it to her. His eyes were squeezed shut. He didn't know why, but he was nervous about showing the dress to her.
"I like it." She said. "Let's go try it on, okay?"
"O-okay."
          He loved it. It made him feel free, and confident, and most of all, it made him feel like himself. He was... happy wearing it. But what would his dad think? And why were people in the store looking at him funny?
          The cashier asked his mom if it was a gift for someone. That sure put her on guard. She said it was for him of course. But the cashier looked like someone just said the Earth is flat. What was going on?

Word count: 286