And summer begins

June 20th 1962

I woke up extra early this morning after having a 4 hour sleep which was longer then I've had in quite some time. I threw on a pair of Jean shorts and a plain white t-shirt that I tied in the front and straightened my hair. I walked downstairs and heard my mom talking to someone which was weird because I had no siblings and my dad passed away when I was 7 so it was just me and my mom. I got to the kitchen and saw a women with olive skin and dark brown hair and eyes that looked just like Bennys. Then I realized that this is Bennys mom, my eyes widened a little but I proceeded to the kitchen normally.

Mom: Lilly this is Anne Bennys mom
You: it's really nice to meet you Ms. Rodriguez
Anne: please call me Anne, I've heard a lot of wonderful things about you from Benny. You play baseball correct
You: yes I've been playing since I could walk.
Anne: Bennys told me all the story's on your baseball skills

I laugh at her talking about Benny, it seems that he talks about me a lot which I find funny.

Anne: oh speaking of Benny there he his.

I turn around and see Benny at the porch so I walk over and open the door.

You: hey Benny your moms in here
Benny: hopefully she hasn't said anything embarrassing
You: should've come earlier then

I say as I walk back to the kitchen then I feel Bennys hand wrap around my wrist.

Benny: what did she say?

He said it in a serious tone but still with that mischievous smile he always had plastered on his face.

You: you'll never know

I shrug and he loosens his grin and I walk away before laughing.

Mom: you two better get to school before the bell
You: we have 20 minutes and Bennys most likely waiting for his friends

I grab a granola bar from the cupboard and throw the wrapper in the garbage while mine and Bennys moms continue talking so I go and stand my Benny.

You: the gang not here yet
Benny: no they'll be here soon, you look very nice today
You; thank you Rodriguez you look...

I glance at his clothing

You: like a baseball player
Benny: is that a good thing
You: yes, baseball players are cute
Benny: you think the sandlot boys are cute?
You: no! There all younger then me besides the other 2 and they are both no's
Benny: so you like baseball players?
You: especially one
Benny: who?

He says it excitedly and sort of jumps up from the head rest of the couch we're we were sitting.

You: Phillips   
Benny: ewww

He shoves my shoulder a little bit

You: it was a joke Rodriguez
Benny: good. And stop calling me by my last name
You; no! RoDrIgUeZ
Benny: you kill me AnDeRsOn
You: ewww
Benny: exactly

Then I hear a bunch of people yelling for Benny so we both stand up and I say goodbye to my mom and the two of us walk out.

You: our moms are best friends now
Benny: apparently

We walk to the boys and they are all surprised that Benny came out of my house.

Squints: you two smooching in there
Benny: shut it Squints
Yeah yeah: you got a little bit of drool right there Benny
You: you all really know how to get on someone's nerves
Ham: come on sweetheart let's walk

He links arms with me and skips a couple times before letting go of his arm.

You: nice try Ham
Ham: shit I thought that would work
Kenny: don't take away Bennys girlfriend Ham
Timmy: uh oh Bennys gonna get jealous
Tommy: Bennys gonna get jealous
You; you guys have fun I'm going to school

I walk off and I hear Benny yell at them as I walk off which makes me giggle. I arrive at school and walk in with my friends and go to class.

Bennys Point of view
Lilly walks away again I could tell it was because the boys were non stop talking about being boyfriend and girlfriend which we weren't.

Me: You guys scared her off!
Ham: It's not our fault
Bertram: your girlfriend will be at sandlot after school don't stress
Me: she's not my girlfriend
Squints: we all saw you check her out as soon as she walked away
Kenny: ya you don't hide it to well
Me: whatever we're gonna be late

Me and the gang all walk to school and separate into our classes.

Finally it's our last period of the year and I hope Lilly sits by me. Benny what are you saying you don't like her, baseballs the only important thing in your life. Then of course as soon as I get Lilly out of my head her and Phillips sit beside each other, god why won't he leave her alone. But just as I look back down at my paper Lilly sits beside me angrily.

Me: what's up with you
Lilly: Phillips was being a pervert

That makes me sit up immediately and look right at her.

Me: what did he do?
Lilly: he kept putting his hand on my thigh and kissing my cheek so I left.
Me: I thought you LiKeD him
Lilly: shut up Benny

I hear her giggle, I could never stop hearing that giggle. Benny stop you can't like her as if she'd like you back she literally had seniors surrounding her on the daily, like she would ever like you.

Back to you
After I had to deal with pervert Philips I sat next to Benny who seemed to be mad when I told him about Philips. I thought it was cute that he acted like that all protective. I finish my work and then the bell goes, I walk home with my friends who are in a different caul-de-sac so about half way once they leave I see all the boys standing around by Bennys so I jump on Bennys back. After he looks up at me blushing a bit all of his friends laugh and I get off.

You: so sandlot?
Kenny: don't even have to ask

And with that all of the boys run to there houses and it's just me and Benny again.

Benny: cmon we can't be the last ones there
You: hold your horses pretty boy
Benny: did you just call me pretty boy
You: so what if I did

He rises his hands in surrender and runs into his house as I run into mine. I change into a old pair of Jeans and a baseball jersey. I change into my baseball shoes. I grab my glove and run out the door as I see Benny waiting in my porch with his glove, bag, and my ball. He tosses me the ball before we both jog to the Sandlot. We play from 6;00 to 9:00 and then everyone goes him. Me and Benny walk home together and I give him a kiss on the cheek.

Benny: why do you always do that?
You: I don't know. why?
Benny: no reason

He smiles and turns around and the both of us turn and go to our houses.

You: Mom I'm home!
Mom: ok honey! Goodnight!

I go into the shower and wash off all the dirt before changing and laying in bed watching television. I don't have cable or anything so I can only watch tapes so I was watching aunt Mary the baseball movie. As I drift off to sleep before turning the television off.