Peanut Butter

"Pops! I'm gonna be late!" I called grabbing some toast out of the toaster.

   He stepped in and narrowed his eyes. "Faris what have I told you about yelling at me."

   I winced. "Sorry pops. . ."

   He huffed and took the piece of toast I was holding. "What is on your face?"

   I touched my eye. "Makeup? My scar scares the kids and I can't have that."

   "Take it off." He huffed spreading peanut butter on the toast.

   "But-" I started.

   "Take it off!" He snapped slamming the butter knife down. He sigehd and rubbed his temples. "Faris those scars are proof of your challenges. Your family couldn't break you. You should be proud. "

   I fiddled with the hem of my jacket. "Yes sir. " I didn't bother saying how uncomfortable it made me. How people tended to stare.

   I grabbed a paper towel and went about wiping the make up off. Pops was always so strict. So controlling. His old age made him crankier and crankier.

   "I really am going to be late," I mumbled out.

   "Get in the car." Pa grabbed his keys.

   "Yes sir." I grabbed my bag and headed out the door.

   The car ride was tense and harsh. Pops sighed. "Faris you know I love you right..?"

   My soul flipped. "I know..."

   "Say it." He said with a warning tone.

   "I love you too pops." I murmured.

   "Good boy. Now you know the rules. Be out here ready to leave at 5 on the dot. Or. Else." He said pulling up to the front of the hospital.

   I winced. "Yes sir." I opened the door to get out.

   "I love you Faris." He called.

   My soul gave another painful flip. "Love you too pops. See you later." I turned and headed into the hospital.