Hospitals

"Faris. There you are. Do you have your notebook?" Dr. Jean asked curiously.

   "Yes sir!" I had a sorta internship with the hospital. Pops had pulled some strings. I couldn't practice medicine of course but I could watch. And I got Dr. Jean whatever he needed.

   "Good. We have a patient being flown over. The hospital he was at can no longer sustain his condition. We have better medicines to combat his condition here." Dr. Jean hummed.

   "What's wrong with him?" I asked jotting the notes down in my notebook.

   "He has a very rare soul deficiency. He's been very weak since he was a child." The doc responded.

   "Soul Deficiency. Geno."

   I shook the thought off. A memory? From before? Who's Geno?

   "Kid? Faris? You okay?" Dr. Jean put his hand on my shoulder.

   I flinched. "Huh?"

   "Another memory..?" He gave a bittersweet smile.

   "Yeah..." I can't remember much from before age 10. My memory still lapses occasionally.

   Pops says its some kind of head trauma from my other family. They weren't good people. They were abusive. That explains all the old scars. And Pops' protectiveness.

   "You need to sit out?" He asked carefully.

   "No I'm okay." I shook my head to clear it. "So when is the patient getting here? Can I see the helicopter?"

   Dr. Jean smiled. "Sure thing kiddo. He should be here soon. Lets go."

   I grinned and followed after him. We got up to the roof just as the helicopter touched down. The blades were very loud.

   The paramedics rushed someone out on a stretcher. "Hes crashing!"

   Dr. Jean broke into a run as he stopped beside them. "What happened!?"

   "His soul almost gave out on the ride over. Hes unstable!" One of the paramedics called.

   I stayed back and just held the door open. This was serious. This was real doctor work. The paramedics and Dr. Jean breezed past me.

   I caught a glimpse of the patient. He was a skeleton, like me. His eye was covered in glitches. I only saw him for a moment. And then they were gone.

   Something stirred in my soul. A face. A young boy smiling and holding his hand out.

   "Fresh!" The boy called.

   "Faris!" Dr. Jean called glancing up. "Come on!"

   I shook my head. "Coming!" I hurried down the steps after him.