The Aftermath

I jolted awake only minutes later. "Mom!" I reached out.

   CQ was there in seconds. So much was happening. There were sirens and footsteps and Geno's heart monitor. "Fresh. Fresh. Calm down. The police arrested him!"

   I gripped onto her arm for dear life. "I-I–" My breath came in shallow panicked gasps.

   "Move please..." Dr. Jean whispered. "Hey. Hey kiddo can you hear me? Its Dr. Jean."

   I focused on his tone. It was calm and quiet. Easier to listen to. "D-doc.."

   "That's it kid. Listen to my voice. Breathe." Dr. Jean prompted gently.

   I sucked a deep breath in. "C-cant!"

   "Yes you can. You can. It's okay. It's okay." He whispered.

   My breathing evened out after a few minutes. "W-what..?"

   "Shh. Ma'am can you gt him some water?" Dr. Jean turned to Ma.

   Ma nodded and headed off somewhere. She returned with water. Her hands were trembling.

   "Drink this kid." Dr. Jean handed the water over.

   I sipped the water with trembling hands. "What happened?"

   Dr. Jean didn't answer. "Can you tell me your name kid?"

   I furrowed my brows. "Fresh Queen..."

   "So your name isn't Faris?" He asked gently.

   I jerked and shook my head. "No!"

   "Okay! Okay. Calm down. About Andrew..." Dr. Jean started. "Did he give you these scars?"

   I glanced down at my arm. My jacket was off leaving me in just a T-shirt. My scars were revealed. I gave a short not. I could almost feel the pain of when they happened. I shuddered.

   "Okay. How long have you been with him?" Dr. Jean asked gently.

   I sipped the water and trembled. "8 years..."

   "Okay. That's all I need to know kid. The cops will have to wait. I won't ket them bug you okay?" Dr. Jean stood and held his hand out.

   I took his hand and let him pull me up. "Okay..." I murmured.

   "You should sit down. Try not to stress yourself out.... this is a big change kid. Ill talk to the cops with your uncle." Dr. Jean pat my shoulder and turned to head out the door.

   I took his advice and sat down in a chair. I kept my knees down. Pulling them close would make it hard to breathe. I tried to sort out my thoughts.

   "Fresh..?" Ma called.

   I jerked. I forgot she was there for a moment. "Ma..?"

   "Hey there... Are you–" she started.

   I shook my head. "No..."

   There was a shift somewhere in the room. "Leave him be mom." Oh. Error was still here.

   Ma sighed and rubbed my shoulder. "Try to rest sweetie..?"

   I nodded and rested my head on the wall. It was cold and soothing. It lulled me to sleep.