Part 27 - Finals Start

Finals Start

Finally the day all of Konoha had waited for was there. The finals of the chunin exams would be held today. There were many famous clan names in the finals, though none was more famous than the finally revealed son of the fourth Hokage. Naruto Namikaze, formerly known as Naruto Uzumaki, who had already started making a name for himself and many nobles and wealthy clients wanted to see him in action. Then there were his teammates Sasuke Uchiha, last member of the Uchiha clan in Konoha, who promised to become one of the strongest Uchihas of all times and Sakura Haruno. Sakura had grown from a normal civilian-born kunoichi into an aspiring medic nin, some were already seeing the next Tsunade in her. Rumours that had spread over the village said that the whole team was exceptionally strong now thanks to the training the Godaime Hokage had put them through in the six months he had trained his team.

Then there were the heirs of the most important clans of Konoha. Hinata Hyuga, Shino Aburame and Kiba Inuzuka, even if the last one wasn't the heir of his clan, he was the son of the clan head, then Shikamaru Nara, Ino Yamanaka and Choji Akimichi. Those nine Konoha nins would face the three children of the fourth Kazekage from Suna. It promised to be a great spectacle. The tickets had been sold out before a week was gone. Security precautions were at an all-time high and the guests were asked to identify every single member of their protection details.

Among the audience were lots of ninjas of Konoha, there of course were the senseis of the three teams that had qualified. Kurenai Yuuhi, sensei of team eight, Asuma Sarutobi, sensei of team ten and finally Kakashi Hatake, Godaime Hokage and sensei of team seven. All three were proud to say that their three rookie teams had been the only ones to get into the finals, despite having been seen as the underdogs in the exams and some thinking that the genin weren't ready for such a challenge yet. They had proven beyond any doubt that they were the best of their generation.

Right now the genins that were hoping to get promoted were standing in the arena, facing the spectators. Kakashi's coronation to Hokage had been done two days ago. They wanted to have that part done before the invasion took place. It would be too much of a hassle to deal with the aftermath and have to succession to worry about. So right now Kakashi Hatake ruled Konoha as the Godaime Hokage.

From left to right there stood team seven, the Suna team, team eight and then team ten. All of them were looking up to see the ones that had come to see the finals. Some of them had changed their style of clothing. Naruto had finally donned his new outfit with his special red cloak that was modelled after his father's infamous white cloak. Under it he wore long black pants that were fixed at his ankles with black bandages. A long-sleeved black shirt sat under a blood red vest. On the back of his cloak, in black, there was a stylised Uzumaki swirl, though upon looking closer you could see that the symbol was made of the Kyubi. The white Namikaze twister was on his right shoulder. Sasuke had changed from his blue shirt and white shorts to a totally black outfit with short sleeves and shorts.

Sakura had changed her outfit most. Thanks to the month with Shizune she had got a good idea how a powerful kunoichi fought and how she tricked her opponents. Especially a medic nin. So Sakura now wore a red and black short battle kimono over a black fishnet shirt. She also wore black leggings and red kunoichi boots that went to her shins. Team ten looked like they did before, as did Kiba and Shino, but Hinata too had changed her outfit. She didn't wear the baggy jacket anymore, but a tight black body suit under a lavender battle dress. She still wore black shinobi sandals.

Kakashi stood up from his seat; he sat between the Kazekage and the Sandaime Hokage, and addressed the audience.

"Welcome everybody to this year's chunin exam finals in Konoha." He said. "The twelve finalists that you see down in the arena have proven to be the best of this year's candidates in the first two tests. Now you will all see their skill in one-on-one fights. I want to introduce to you these promising genins. From left to right, we have Sasuke Uchiha, heir of the Uchiha clan of Konoha, next is Sakura Haruno, daughter of a civilian councillor of Konoha. Next in line is Naruto Uzumaki Namikaze, son of the Yondaime Hokage and heir of the Uzumaki clan of Uzushio. Next we have the three children of the Yondaime Kazekage, Kankuro, the oldest, then Temari and last but not least Gaara. Next in line is Kiba Inuzuka, son of the head of Konoha's Inuzuka clan, followed by the Aburame clan heir Shino Aburame. Next is the heiress of the Hyuga clan Hinata Hyuga. Next to her you see Ino Yamanaka, heiress of the Yamanaka clan, then Choji Akimichi, heir of the Akimichi clan and on the far right, Shikamaru Nara, heir to the Nara clan of Konoha.