Chapter 29: Official

I ran downstairs with tears running down my cheeks. We reached the first level, and I came across a metal door, then shook the heavy handlebar.

"Open this thing!" I asked in tears.

Max pulled me away while others shot at the lock, and I ran as soon as I saw it open. The forest received me again. I had been so upset that I had not noticed the windows, had not noticed that we had been so high, nor that we were in a facility on the city's wall.

Max's men readied their weapons, searching the forest for a target.

"Have they fallen elsewhere?" muttered Max.

"Stay alert in case that EH attacks!"

"He left," answered a voice, returning my soul to my body. We turned, and Sirius jumped down from one of the trees. "He ran off after falling."

"Sirius!" I screamed, running to him and hugging him tightly. "Why did you do that?!" I demanded to know, shaking him.

"Easy, I'm fine."

"You said you wouldn't leave me!" I exclaimed. "And you almost sacrificed yourself for me!"

"Hey," he said, surprised. "Your lady is always worth dying for."

I shook my head.

"Don't say that, don't say that!" I buried my face in his chest.

Another extremist teaching of his culture. However, I was still surprised by his dedication to me, capable of dying to protect me without even thinking about it. He had already covered me with his own body many times, I must have guessed, but I could not understand him. My life without him would not be the same. Didn't he take that into account?

"It's fine. I knew I was not going to die. That fall would not kill me if I knew how to fall. There were trees too." I was relieved to know that he had at least calculated his actions. "I'm more concerned about you. If he caught up with you, I wouldn't have another second to save you." He hugged me hard again. "Besides, you already know I wanted to break his face long ago."

I pulled away and sighed. I took and kissed his hand and cradled it on my cheek, closing my eyes. He put his forehead to mine.

"We must go, lovebirds," Tania interrupted.

I looked at the others, and they were putting on their helmets. Max handed me one and to Rosy too. We put them on, and they led us out while Acrux, Centauri, and his brother made the evolved people out into the forest to escape.

Guards were lying on the ground everywhere. I saw they had blown up the entrance. The security trucks were outside. The soldiers went to the other four trucks and their open cargo tails. I got in the back seat with Sirius and Rosy, Max behind the steering wheel, and Tania in the other front seat.

He started the engine, and we left. I noticed that we were in the western part of the city. I could see the wall. The Security building was attached to it.

I leaned against Sirius's shoulder and closed my eyes. We had already taken off our helmets because it was night. I put my arm across his chest, he wrapped me around the shoulders, and I settled better next to him, with relief washing over me.

***

Max pulled up outside the hospital.

"Well, it's been a long day," he commented, exhausted, "but we got what we wanted."

"Er..." I remembered another detail that would surely bring problems. "They took away our phones at the mayor's office, and they will surely use them to find us, apart from knowing our names," I warned worriedly.