Chapter 1

I almost break my phone when the alarm sounds next to me. After making sure the phone still works I yawn and stretch before getting up. I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth before taking a shower.

Another Monday to get through.

I sigh as I step out of the shower with a towel around my waist. As I dry my hair I look in the mirror revelling in the fact that I got top surgery over the summer. I had to miss the last week of school because of it but it was definitely worth it. The red of the scars stand out against my pale skin, still prominent due to them only being a few weeks old.

After drying off I get dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt. I don't have to worry about anyone seeing a binder under my shirt anymore. After getting dressed and combing my brown hair, I go to the kitchen where I find Dad making pancakes and bacon on the stove.

"Morning, TJ," he smiles.

"Morning, Pops awake yet?" I ask as I sit at the bar across from where he's cooking.

"He had to go into work early. He'll be back a little after you get out of school," he sets a plate of bacon and pancakes in front of me as he finishes cooking.

My golden retriever, Sarah, comes running from her dog bed as I start eating so I take a small piece of my bacon and split it in half before giving it to her.

Her little tail wags as she eats the bacon. We don't know exactly how old she is but we guess that she's around twelve weeks. We found her two weeks ago, towards the end of my recovery.

Dad has a job too but he always has time to make breakfast in the morning and he gets more time off than Pops does. Pops works for the only big company in the town. All it does is make plastic bags but it's very successful and pays enough for us to keep the house we have.

It's not huge but it does have three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a nice kitchen and living space. The basement has a flat screen TV that matches the one in the living room but the basement has the gaming systems and computer while the living room just has the TV and the couch.

"The school called last night. You were already in bed so I couldn't tell you but you're showing a new student around this morning. They said she has a few classes with you so they thought you could help her navigate." Dad informs me.

"What's her name?" I ask as I eat.

"They didn't say," he shrugs and moves to sit next to me. "You're gonna start taking the truck soon right?"

"Probly, why?"

"It's gonna be getting cold soon and I don't want you to ride that motorcycle in the snow." He explains.

"I've told you a hundred times that I won't ride it in the winter. We already agreed on that when I talked you guys into letting me get the license for it," I smile at his protectiveness.

"I just want to make sure you're being safe. You're lucky I let you and James talk me into agreeing," he points out.

"I know," I smile. "I promise I'll be safe."

"Alright, and you have everything in your noggin under control?"

"Yes, I'm not going to go full blown dragon on the new kid," I laugh lightly at the thought.

"Okay," he put his hands up in fake surrender.

"I better get to school. Don't want to make the new girl wait with Mr. Cane too long," I stand up and put my dishes in the dishwasher.

"Alright, drive safe," Dad tells me as I throw my denim jacket on after my black work boots.

"I will," I grab my bag and throw it over my shoulders as I leave the house.