SIXTEEN

Not even the dawn of a new day, can kindly bring peace.

It was a quiet morning, one where the clouds diffuse the daylight to a bleak and suffocating grey as they move like the waves of an ocean through the white sky, sending a melody of spitting snowflakes towards the surface of mortal treachery below – today, everything was too bright for her glassy eyes, and the icy-chill that loitered the hallways of White-Ivy, was numbing her fingers and brain.

Eve stands by the entrance, the cold air creeping through the cracks in the windows, pressing up against the stiffness of her cheeks, and swirling amongst the dazed look in her eyes which had a ring of grey sinking below the colour.

As she waited for the arriving patient, who needed to attend the front reception to fill out paperwork regarding letters – which nobody would ever write to him – Eve's mind kept filtering through all that had happened, since the day she first walked through these two, oak-wood doors.

Her lips were quivering low, and sinking down to the wobble of her chin – but the Sister made sure to hide it from the face of the marble Virgin Mary, who stares at her from the middle of the foyer. Such a tangible display of indignation, risked further retribution.

Even something as small and subtle as a lonesome tear, could result in more pain – and Eve was tired of and burdened with immoderate slays of torture, leaving her timid and fearful of the next strike from God and his servants... especially the head of this manor.

She kept fleeing from the alters hidden in the corners of her brain, where her survival still drops to its knees and begs her soul to stay in the light, for enlightenment must guarantee safety. But no matter how many hours she spent last night, regaining all of her harsh breath and dropping to the cold floors of her quarters, with interwoven fingers and a mouth that whispered silently, she knew that nobody could believe her begs for forgiveness, because she didn't even trust herself.

Although, tragically – there is now a slumber of strained abashment which wakes whenever she thinks about the patient that caused her to feel so conflicted.

Eve wasn't afraid of Kylo Ren, despite the shadows that followed him and the path that he had taken her on, with a forceful tug and enticing words – but she was absolutely petrified of the Father, who loathed the patient, and brutally punished the Sister whenever she deserved, for she was ignorant for never fearing the condemned demon, in the first place.

But still, like always and through the trudge of regret and penance, she was not scared of Kylo, even when he was brought, shackled and bound, down the hall – but strangely, he didn't walk with his shoulders back in that confident way he always swayed, but instead, he was moved by a wheelchair that was directed by the hands of a guard behind him.

His face was ghostly pale, but he forever held a smirk when he caught sight of his angel, hiding behind the statue of Virgin Mary. His feet were bare from shoes, his toes feeling the closest hint of freedom, when he curled them at the soft hit from the air outside, which crept through the gap in the barred windows of the entrance behind Eve.

She wore her freshly ironed and washed, drapes and veil – but Kylo Ren noticed the bland gap upon her chest, as she was missing her beads and rosary.

A tight feeling rose in her chest when their eyes met. She was beyond stressed, the most stressed she's ever been – and the fact that the devil himself, would visit her both in her dreams, and then day-to-day, was taunting her and almost causing her to go delirious, whenever she felt the urge to take a step closer to him, meeting him only halfway and then onwards to wherever his dark soul wished to take her.