Chapter 6

Y/N still sits on the bench drowning in despair. As he was silently weeping there, his phone vibrated. He took it out of his right pocket and sees a text message from his mother.

My Queen
I made your favorite dish for dinner. Hurry back home!

Reading the message with a cheerful tone of his mother in his mind manages to make him chuckle amid sadness. He wipes the remnants of his tears and makes his way back home.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"Honey, he's back. Scoop up some rice for him." Y/N's father told his mother.

"Dad, it's okay. I can get it myself." He puts down the paper bag he's holding on the living room table.

"What's this, son?"

"I bought some clothes for you two earlier." Y/N intentionally covers his face with his hand. He is not letting his parents see his red eyes and nose.

"I'll go and have dinner now."

He pulls back the chair and sat down. Not long after that, his mother comes out of the kitchen with a hot pan.

"Samgyetang~ Just how you like it. Bon appétit~"

She bowed down to him, mimicking like she's a waitress from a five-star restaurant. Her action does not fail to put a small smile on his face.

'I shouldn't bother them with this.'

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"Thanks for the dinner mom..." He was about to go into his room but his mother's question made him stop in his track.

"Why are you hurting son?"

Those simple five words hit him hard.

"What do you mean mom-"

"I know you're hurting. You're my son, you can't hide that from me... Your expression and your actions can't fool me."

His grip on the doorknob tightens. His face scrunched up as he felt the feeling of despair building up again. 

"Love hurts mom... I can't believe it's so painful..." She didn't say anything to her son. Instead, she went and hugged him.

"Pain makes you stronger. Your heartbreak will make you wiser..." She patted his back.

"I'm sorry you have to go through that. Your father and I are here for you." 

"I'm so grateful I have you guys..." Y/N embraces his mother tighter.

"And we're grateful we have a son like you." There's nothing more comforting than a mother's warmth. And Y/N is receiving his much-needed remedy.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

A week later...

"Are you sure about this?" Jae asked Y/N.

"I'm sure hyung. I feel this is the best thing for me right now." He gives Jae a thumbs up.

It's an overcast day. Fitting for a sad departure of a friend. They stepped outside the main office building of the campus and Jae look at Y/N.

"You better hang out with us kid. Leaving college doesn't mean leaving your friends." His words made him chuckle.

"Sure hyung." They fist-bumped.

"Good luck with your new work." Jae wishes him well and Y/N takes his leave.