Double Edged Sword

The week that followed was bizarre, but routine. Netarute and Mira had obligations everyday so I was left to my own devices. I got my bedroom more organized. I re-read the Heart and Locke series. I finally touched base with my mom. She and Dad had decided to head to New Orleans for a few days.

I took a few solo trips around town, familiarizing myself with the closet grocery stores, popular plazas, and activities as well as the nearest Mac-World in case my laptop ever died. I went down to the Santa Monica Pier. It was nice to spend time by the water. I did what any other local would do, I took their shoes off and hung the feet off the peer. 

Swinging them back and forth hoping to catch small wave on my toe, but the water was too low. It was midday and the moon ruled the water, therefore the water receded from the sun. I walked along the shore of Santa Monica, digging my feet into the sand, only to kick up into the air. I squished it up between my toes, all while enjoying the sun's rays on my brown skin, loving the way it heated me up from the outside in.

When I got back that day, Copia had bought take out for all four of us at sand-which shop  near to where she did her shoots. I sometimes wonder if because she was make up artist and I was a soon-to-be model, would we ever cross paths. 

Would she ever get called to do makeup for a model shooting? I know she works mostly with the film industry and therefore our paths would not cross. But I did find it interesting that we worked in similar fields that could intersect at any given time.

For the rest of the week all four of us rarely ate dinner together. It was mostly Myra and I, Neta and I, or all three of us together, who had dinner most often. We'd take turns cooking and it was  always something delicious. There is never a shortage of plantains, rice, or black-eyed peas. 

...

Every morning, I went running with Copia. She didn't pull anymore kissing stunts on me, and she didn't speak to me either. Netarute and Mira seemed content with the fact that Copia and I weren't verbally abusing each other.

 So we wasn't forced any closer. With that her and I would meet every morning on the porch and run. I had no idea what she did with the rest of her time. She took off in her Bronco or on her bike everyday after we ran. I walked to the front facing window of the living room that led to the balcony. Half hiding behind the curtains I made it less noticeable that I was watching her leave. 

I didn't do this everyday, but something about today bothered me. Its as if I just the courage to speak to her about it and yet she left earlier than I could find the words. It had been a week since the shower incident and I could barely wrap my mind around how to go about this issue. This week when she was home she made a point to disappear. 

If I went on the porch, she went upstairs. If I was in my room, I would hear her in the living room. If I went to the living room, she either left the house or held herself up in another room. The only times I would be able to get a proper glimpse of her is  she would leave the porch door open. Sometimes I would go into the kitchen just to get something quick and only then did she decide as if it wasn't worth it to go through the hassle of moving. 

 It was only during these times where I saw her in her element. If no one else was in the house she would often be on her phone. At first I thought she was on the phone with Sandra, but I'd heard her say Mom a few times and then chastise a person name Kenade. 

Fantasies of Mira naked on my lap or Netarute playfully spanking my ass made me smile every time they popped into my head too. But I couldn't see why Mira and Netarute liked her. I tried to mind my own business. I tried my hardest not to think about her, but it wasn't working. That kiss, haunted me. I pressed my lips together. 

Sure I was attracted to her. She is a naturally attractive woman, but her physical appeal wasn't all that kept her on my mind though apparently. She was really funny. I'd walked in on several conversations where she'd had Mira and Netarute laughing their asses off. 

Of course when she saw me, she would quickly down shift and turn the focus to one of the other girls or just leave the room. She actually seemed kind, when I wasn't there. She was gentle with Mira and Netarute. She showered Netarute was with intense affection and catered to Mira's nonsensical whims.

If it had just been the two of them, I would hedged a guess that Copia was actually in love with Netarute , the way they were together. And when she wasn't teasing her, she coddled Mira in a very caring way. She dotted on her, giving her as much attention as she demanded.

Which seemed odd to me. When faced with me she seemed the type to push the elderly into oncoming traffic, but she was even more patient with Mira's hyper, erratic behavior than Netarute was. 

 Watching her with them was becoming difficult, but I managed. It sucks how  much she knew about them and was able to slid so effortlessly into the roles they needed. She held space for them while I was new and still fitting in. I wanted so badly to be in her position.