chapter 1

Gigi's POV

History class is so dull... My teacher, Mr. Dankworth is an old, bitter curmudgeon who thinks he's the smartest person in the world. He's such a sorehead, I can't stand him. Oh, silly me! I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Genevieve Goode, Gigi for short. I'm 16 years old and I study at Granada Hills High School. I won't lie, I'm pretty popular here. I have a lot of friends, and most people want to live my life, since they think it's just sitting still, looking pretty. I wish they knew what you see isn't always truth, though. A lot of people talk behind my back too. It's funny, they think I don't notice, when I do. I see and hear it all, yet I remain silent. And because of that, everyone thinks I'm a snobbish, arrogant bitch, but it's whatever.

I'm not all that, you know... I'm actually just one huge nerd, but no one notices because I go to parties and know how to dress. But whenever I'm not partying, I'm at home with my head in a book, devouring it. I love books. Books are my escape. Books are always there for me, when nobody else is. However, something I don't like is school. In fact, I hate it. But I have no choice other than to stand out among my classmates with my good grades, because otherwise my parents would kick me out of the house. Now you see my life isn't as easy as it seems, don't you?

As soon as the big, red, loud bell rings, I feel relieved; but my bliss doesn't last for long, when Mr. Dankworth announces to the class that he has something important to tell us. Besides being our History teacher, Mr. Dankworth is also our pavilion secretary, which means he's in charge of most school-related events. I didn't get very excited, and neither did my other classmates: Mr. Dankworth always makes announcements he thinks are important, but they never are.

"Class, I have an announcement to make. As you may already know, your school used to do an annual trip called the White Week, but got canceled more than 20 years ago. However, many teachers including myself, have joined to try and convince your principal to bring White Week... And, fortunately, we've succeeded." Mr. Dankworth declares. Immediately after he finished saying this, my entire class cheered excitedly. Even I cheered.

WW was an annual week trip to Alaska organized by my school, where every student would stay at a cottage for a week, drink hot chocolate, and learn how to play snow sports. It was super-hot, but got canceled in the 90s, when a kid went missing. Luckily, my mom got to do the trip, and, ever since I can remember, she has talked wonders about it to me. So I got thrilled when I found out that, next week, I'd get to live this magical experience in own flesh.

''During your stay at Alaska, you'll be sharing cottages with another classmate. However, I have some bad news as well: I will, personally, be in charge of pairing you up.'' He continued, and everyone's faces suddenly went from a bright smile to a frown. I pouted, as I turned to look at Jackie and Plastique, my best friends. They were also kind of sad and disappointed. I turned head-on, looking at Mr. Dankworth with a devilish smile on his old, greasy face.

''One by one, I'll call your names, and you'll approach my desk, as I give you a folded paper with your roommate's name. Then, you'll go back to your seat, and open the paper. Now, the goal is for you to get to know each other better, so don't expect me to pair you up with your best friend.'' It could've been a work of my imagination, but I felt as if Mr. Dankworth fixed his gaze on me as he said that last sentence. I frowned. Who did he think he was? This was not going to stay like this. Ha, I was going to have my own way, anyway. Little did he know, I get along with everybody. So, surviving next week was going to be easy peasy.

''Gigi Goode?'' After 10 minutes of pondering, I heard Mr. Dankworth call out my name. I stood up, confident, and reluctantly snatched the folded paper out of his hands. I returned to my desk, sat down, and mentally prepared myself for what I was about to do. But not even in a million years would have I been prepared for the name that was written on the paper. I gasped surprisingly, as I read the name that was written in black Sharpie marker, with big, bold letters.

''No... There has got to be a mistake... This just simply can't be... What type of horrible nightmare is this?!'' I thought to myself. Among all people in my class: I, the popular, rich bitch, get paired up with the weirdest, kookiest, odd girl in my class?!

Crystal Methyd.