Chapter 8: Predator or Prey

Recap

Just as I reached the center I saw him, them really. With all my distractions I had over looked the area as clear but it was clearly not so as the group of boys stood before me. I could tell they couldn't see me.

As that feeling of relief coursed through me I noticed him, Trent.

He was looking straight at me, frozen in shock. A smile was slowly creeping on to his lips, his eyes sparkled. And then I knew he could see me.

And then I hit me; he was close, dangerously close to me. There had never been mates such as us to find each other, and with that came the mystery of just how far would the lab go to keep me.

Trent stepped forward

~

"Mate" he said, low and husky toned as his wolf took over.

I blanched, backing up slowly. Alphas such as him would take any sudden movement as a motive to chase, something they very much enjoyed.

If running was not an option then what was left.

'How about you stay with him?' My wolf asked.

Even with my internal freaking, I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

I scanned the clearing, still stepping back as Trent stalked toward me. The house was too far away on the other side of the line of boys. Then again they probably couldn't see me.

Trent lurched again too close for my liking. I move my hind paw back, snapping a stick that had missed my gaze. The boys, already bewildered at what ever Trent was lowly growling, jumped at the noise.

My mind was wirling a hour per second for an escape plan. My only thought was to run, run and maybe get back to the Lab. Trent was about a meter and a half away from me when I turned and bolted into the eerie dark forest. All the animals from earlier were gone.

I had no time to enjoy the rush as I full out sprinted for what might have been my life. My Lab speed and already shifted position gave me a head start, though there were spots were my wolf already in a powerful state tried to rein my back. I can back to the brook and used an old trick to change my sent. It would not work for long.

I ran parallel with the brook and then back to the house. I slowly creep around corners, and even though no one seemed to be there I stayed invisible

I dashed to my room keeping as quiet as possible.

With a huff I leaned my head against the door.

That was close, way too close. And tomorrow I would have to be with him and his wolf would be on extra alert with its mate rearing her head.

It was just to much at one time, to think I have been in this house for how long?

A day or two at the most.

I turned and went to the dresser besides my bland bed in this bland room. As I pulled at the handles of the chest, the hair on the back of my neck prickled and goosebumps rose on my arms.

I had the sudden feeling of being watched. My heart beat speed up and a rush ran through me. In a way I felt like prey, vulnerable and easy. Yet at the same time a secret predator hunting, offer something up as a lure to subdo the subject intil it was too late to back out.

In the corner of my eye I picked up movement. Spinning on my heels I came face to face with one of the first people I may when I came here.

The crazy girl who believed she was Alpha Female.

What was her name? Claire? It stared with a C.

As I racked my brain, she stare at me with a calculating, determined expression set on her face.

Cassidy that was her name!

"Mutt", she said crossing her arms as if I had just disturbed her.

Behind her my eyes caught my MTDD on the bed on, Cassy's profile pulled up on it.

"What do you want?" I asked my voice dipped into a growl. My wolf didn't seem to like what she was doing, touching my Lab stuff was almost like she was telling me how to do my job.

"Oh, nothing", she said putting up the fad of incense.

"Ok then, well I need to retire for tomorrow", I said moving towards the bed. It was meant to have her leave so this awkward moment could be over buy she had other plans.

Cassidy leaned forward, breathing into my ear. In all true it was kind of creepy, considering I didn't know which way she swung.

"I know about you and Trent. If I were you, I wouldn't want this to get back to Command." She whispered.

"What do you want?" I asked for the second time.

"Oh you know exactly what I want" she said as she retracted her head walk towards the door.

"What is that?" I asked hesitantly. I never expected that I would ever be black mailed.

She turned her head towards me while keeping her body forwards, her hand on the white door's golden handle.

She smirked a malicious look in her eyes.

"Trent" she said softly.

~

I'd like to delicate this chapter to the families of Newtown,Connecticut 12/14/12.