Chapter 10

Ruby woke up in the middle of the night thirsty. She walked to the kitchen rubbing her eyes. As she made her way to the kitchen she heard footsteps nearby. Her curiosity got the better of her as she followed the noise. She followed the sounds when she was really close to the noise she peeked around the corner. She realized where she was in the castle. The memorial hall of past kings and queens. Ruby peeked around the corner seeing her father.
He stood Infront of the portrait of her mother. "What is he doing...?" Ruby wondered as she listened closer.
"I'm sorry my love...it is getting harder and harder to keep this secret..." He muttered barley audible. Ruby was confused "what secret...is he keeping something from me...?" Ruby questioned as she dove back to not be spotted by her father.
Tai walked in the opposite direction not noticing his daughter. Ruby snuck to where he was standing noticing a rock slightly out of place. She pushed it and a secret passage opening up.
She gasped looking down the large stone staircase.
Ruby was about to answer but heard footsteps approaching she quickly closed the passage hiding behind a suit of armor.
Ruby watched as her dad returned leaving a single rose Infront of the portrait. He turned leaving Ruby alone. She snuck back to her room not feeling thirsty she was just confused at what her father said and why he had a secret passage. She sat at the edge of the bed still lost in thought. Weiss woke up due to the lack of warmth from Ruby. "Mmmmm....Ruby....?" Weiss called rubbing her eyes tiredly. Ruby flinch slightly at the sudden sound. "O...oh hey princess...sorry I...I just went to get some water and...I got lost in the dark heh..." Ruby lied. She didn't really wanna tell Weiss anything since even she didn't know what her dad was doing. She hated lying to Weiss but she had to she wanted to figure out by herself. Weiss was to sleepy to question her girlfriend as she just pulled Ruby down to the bad and buried her face in Ruby's neck. "Ok...hmmm...you're warm..." Weiss whispered cuddling close. Ruby blushed her worries disappearing as she held Weiss close.
Ruby kissed the top of the sleepy angels head. Ruby closed her eyes having a strange dream about her mom. It was a brief dream.

She was standing in the garden it was bright. She couldn't move but she was to focused on her surroundings. She noticed a woman standing a few feet away from her. "H...hello...?" Ruby called to the woman. "You've grown so much..." The woman said turning her head slightly. The only thing Ruby saw was a bit of her black and red hair and her...silver eyes. Ruby gasped "who are you...?" Ruby asked shakily.
"You'll find out one day..."

That was the last thing the woman said before Ruby woke up with a jolt.
Ruby was sweating profusely breathing heavily. Her heavy breathing woke Weiss up. "...Ruby...are you ok?" Weiss asked sitting up next to Ruby.
Ruby was trembling "I...I'm sorry...I didn't mean to wake you again I just...had a weird dream..." Ruby mumbled rubbing her eyes. Weiss was awake now "do you wanna talk about it?" Weiss asked wrapping her arms around Ruby comfortingly.
Ruby couldn't help but blush as Weiss held her. "I'm not sure how to describe it...it was just weird..." Ruby said as Weiss played with her horns. "Why are you playing with my horns?" Ruby asked with a amused smile. "I dunno...it's relaxing..." Weiss whispered resting her chin on top of the younger girls head.
"Hmmm...I love you snowflake," Ruby blurted closing her eyes. Weiss smiled "I love you too..." Weiss whispered the two both falling asleep.

The next night

Ruby snuck back to the memorial hall to the wall where the passage was.
She pushed on the stone opening the passage. She slowly made her way down the stairs feeling her heart rate increase. She made it to a room filled with weapons, armor, and some old paintings. She looked at a large map on the wall it was a map for all of heaven and hell. She looked at the old paintings most of them were burned.
She looked at the photos "what is this place...?" Ruby muttered to herself.
Ruby looked at the desk cluttered with papers and dust. Ruby noticed a framed photo facing down and hidden among the papers.
Ruby picked up the photo turning it around to see it.
Her heart dropped when she saw the photo. "No...it...can't be..." She whispered in a horrified and shocked tone.

The photo was a bit burnt but not burnt enough to hide her face

The photo was a bit burnt but not burnt enough to hide her face. Ruby looked at her mother. "This...can't be right...mom wasn't a..." Her thoughts was cut off by footsteps.
She turned her head coming face to face with her father. "Ruby....? W...what are you doing down here?" He asked with a shaky tone. Ruby starred at her father her blood boiling in anger. How could he keep this secret from her for so long. Summer was killed before Ruby could even remember her.
"How...how could you keep this from me!?" Ruby yelled at her father. He flinched slightly "I-" Ruby cut him off.
"You never told me mom...was a fallen angel!" Ruby shouted she was furious. She loved her mother even though she didn't remember her.
Tears welled in the angry demons eyes. Tai hung his head "I'm sorry..." Was all he mumbled. "I'm sorry!? That's all you have to say!? You hid this from me for years! Don't I have the right to know who my mother was!? To know that I'm half angel!" She shouted her eyes flashing red.
Tai closed his eyes sighing. "I kept this from you for a reason...I knew if you knew you would be treated terribly or even killed...demons hate halflings..." Tai explained. "Halflings...is that what I am...? You...kept this from me for so long...you lied to me!" Ruby growled clenching her fist.
"I hate you!" Ruby shouted sprinting past her father up the staircase. She ran out the main doors disappearing into the night. "RUBY!" Tai called attempting to chase after her. He lost sight of her panting for breath. "Shit..." He muttered panting heavily.
"Mr. Xioa long...?" Weiss's voice came from behind. He looked at her with sadness in his eyes. "where's Ruby...?" Weiss asked worriedly.

"It's all my fault..."