Chapter 2

It was a chilly Sunday afternoon—November 21st, to be exact—and the past few weeks had lapsed without any more crumpled papers in classrooms (at least that he or any of his minions had seen). It was easy enough to watch the girl; they shared a few classes, both of them being excellent students. However, Vablatsky had never expressed an interest in Divination, had not taken the class even as a third year. One would think, given her heritage, she would have been eager to discover if she had the Gift. Unless she already knew by then.

Tom sat beneath a tree near the lake on Hogwarts grounds. With his cloak and scarf, it wasn't too cool for him, especially as the day was not particularly windy. He was looking over a potions essay for Lestrange, having finished his own last week. Honestly, he was almost surprised his fellow Slytherin had finished the essay on the legality of love potions overall and Amortentia in particular before it was due. And it was decent, all said. Somewhere between Acceptable and Exceeds Expectations with minor edits; with the suggestions Tom had written neatly on the margins, it would firmly be 'E' work.

The prefect offered his assistance to all of his Knights, since it was in his best interests that they succeed. They usually only came to him when struggling, which he supposed was to be expected; however, they knew the price of failure. He did not suffer fools.

Glancing it over one last time, Tom nodded firmly to himself and rolled the scroll up. That would do nicely. Lestrange was clever enough he knew he could easily pass courses. He could skate through life on his family name, natural intelligence, and two-faced nature, and he knew it. He also knew that times were changing and theirs was perhaps the last generation of purebloods who would be able to do so. For that reason alone, Lestrange was willing to follow someone with a vision of the future that would benefit his family. Last year had proved definitively to his Knights that Tom was such a person.

He smiled to himself; it was a cold expression, a mere flexing of the lips to slightly alter their neutral position, his a little narrowed, more arrogant than anything. Yes, last year he had proved himself enterprising. The risk had been great, but the payout was absolute loyalty and surety in his abilities. Now, as a sixth year, Tom had only to grow his following and begin to secure their futures and his own.

Avery had a good friend in seventh year whom he was slowly bringing into the fold— Corvus Mulciber. The young man was a little brutish for Tom's liking, but he was of good standing and it was rumored he'd already lined up an internship at the Ministry when he graduated. At their next study session, Mulciber was going to attend under the pretense of speaking to Tom about NEWTS. And Dolohov... that particular Slytherin had watched the group warily for years, and only now was making inquiries that showed he was ready for the next step.

Speaking of, Dolohov, Nott, and Avery were headed toward him from the castle. Tom slipped the parchment into his satchel and waited for the trio, his long legs crossed at the ankles as he sat against the leafless tree.

"Tom!" Avery grinned, the left side of his mouth rising higher than the right. It was his expression when he was particularly pleased with himself. "We have news!"

"I have news," Dolohov corrected. There was an open letter in one hand. "I was told you were interested in the family life of one Elena Vablatsky, particularly as it pertains to secrets."

Tom raised one brow, directing an unfriendly look at his two followers. Whether or not Dolohov would soon be joining his Knights, he should not have been privy to such information until Tom decided he was ready. Avery's grin became chagrined, while Nott glanced down at his feet. At least they realized their mistake.

"Don't be too hard on them, Riddle. I've known Freddie since we were little; I know all his tells," Dolohov said, settling beside the prefect. "And it so happens I have cousins in Poland who were acquainted with the Vablatskys before they moved to England. Very closely acquainted. In fact, there was talk of Aurek Vablatsky divorcing his wife and marrying my cousin Audrina."

"Divorce?" Tom murmured. Pureblood families rarely divorced. "For what cause?"

Dolohov's smile, like the rest of him, was a modest expression. "Cassandra was unable to provide him with a child... and there was talk of infidelity, from what I understand."

Tom paused to reflect before saying, "But she eventually provided him with Elena."

"It's curious," the young man said, settling down beside Tom. "According to Audrina, Aurek was all set for divorce until just five years before we started Hogwarts. And the lovely Miss Elena is notably absent from wizarding society outside of school. In fact, none of Aurek's family in Poland knew of the girl until quite recently, though those are all cousins and uncles and aunts."

Tom looked toward his Knights. Nott was thoughtful, but Avery looked about ready to burst. At the prefect's gesture, he burst out, "My aunt said Cassandra was touring around the time she'd have gotten with child, and she and her husband were estranged at the time. In fact, Antonin's cousin--"

"Audrina says Aurek was in Poland for three months during Cassandra's tour, before returning to their home here in Scotland," Dolohov finished, proffering the letter to Tom with a flourish.

He accepted, skimming through the contents. Indeed, it seemed Audrina and Aurek had many discussions about the possible divorce. Aurek was unhappy with his childless state and his wife's fame. She'd brought the Vablatsky name more renown than it had had in generations, and he disliked that his own research in new uses for adder's fork was hardly registered in society. There was even a picture of Mister Vablatsky at the home of Audrina Lis, herself and her eight sisters fanned around the fair-haired man.

"So," he said, folding the letter and handing it back to its addressee, "do we know who Miss Vablatsky's real father is?"

It was Avery's turn to add in again. "Lisabette says Cassandra spent quite a lot of time in Ireland before the two of them had their falling out." He shrugged. "That is as far as we've gotten; Cassandra was out of the public eye for over a year and she stopped talking to just about everyone she knew during that time."

"And she was childless when she returned?" he asked.

"Well, yes," said Avery. "Unless she kept the girl hidden during parties and events and while travelling. You know, for several years."

Tom leaned his head back, studying the barren branches of the tree as he mulled over this information. Elena Vablatsky was a bastard, born to some mysterious man via her adulteress mother. For whatever reason, about ten years ago the couple took the girl in and masqueraded her as legitimate, despite Aurek Vablatsky's desire for children of his own. That would suggest Elena was originally being raised by her unknown father, and allowed the charade. Perhaps her father had died?

"Hm. Gentlemen, I think it might be time to confront Miss Vablatsky," he said at last.

Dolohov slid the letter into a pocket. "I am glad I could be of help, Tom. Please let know if there's anything more I can do. I am inclined to agree with Professor Slughorn that you are going places."

Tom stuck out his hand in offering, which the other boy gladly shook. "I will consider you offer. Thank you."

His week had started on a considerably good note.