Chapter 26

The room was cold, and gooseflesh broke over her despite the robes she still wore. They were in an empty classroom in the dungeons. Tom had locked and warded it himself to ensure no one would stumble on them. The five Knights all stood at pseudo attention behind their leader, and Elena was standing on her own before them all.

"Gentlemen," he said, "You all know our dear Elena as a classmate, as a study partner, and as— much as she may disagree— mine. Tonight, we officially welcome her into our inner circle." Some of the young men nodded; Nott was staring at her with something akin to worry. "Of course, she must first learn to address her Lord and Master appropriately."

Elena took a step back. It put her further from the door, but she knew she couldn't leave anyway.

"I have been handling you delicately, Elena, doll. But perhaps you desire a firmer grip, so tonight the gloves come off." Tom's voice was cold, soft.

"Tom," she began, "I—"

"Do not," he said, the hissed words cutting through her own, "mistake my past leniency for affection. I've tried to make it clear that I do not have a sentimental nature."

Staring at the hard angles of his face, she realized then just how foolish she'd been. Elena was certain Tom had tortured her mother's husband. The man had been half terrified of the schoolboy when they left. She knew he'd murdered, knew his hands were far from clean, had once been at the end of his wand herself. Somehow, she'd let her temper get the best of her. He hadn't harmed her in so long, she'd thought she was safe. That was a mistake.

Elena locked eyes with Nott, whom she knew well enough to call a friend, and whom she knew felt the same for her, pleading. Tom noticed, of course.

"You think he'll save you?" His laugh was that creepy high sound she suspected was the genuine article. "He won't. None of my Knights will keep you from me. Not even after you've wed one of them. As they are mine, you are also." Before she could even think to respond, he gestured Nott forward. "Perhaps that should be your next lesson. Theodorus, whom do you serve?"

"You, my lord," Nott said immediately.

"And you will do as I say?"

"Yes, my lord."

"Even if it means hurting someone you like?"

Elena might have imagined the slightest hesitation before he said again, "Yes, my lord."

Tom's smile frightened her. "The Cruciatus, if you will," he told the other man, gesturing toward Elena.

"What, Tom, please—" Elena called out, then collapsed to the stone floor as Nott said the incantation. It was pain like she'd never felt before, like someone had taken every bruise, every fall, every slap, every little hurt she'd ever experienced and put it into these few seconds. She was quite sure she could hear herself screaming, feel her limbs flailing, but the burning, twisting, electrifying, cold, hot pain seared her, poisoned her, would kill her—

It ended as abruptly as it had started, and she pulled her knees to her chest as though she could protect herself, staring at the men before her.

"Very good, Theodorus." Nott recognized the dismissal and stepped back. "It's all right, doll. Nott needs his practice, and I assure you my own Cruciatus is far worse."

Her eyes were streaming tears, but her body was still shaking with aftershocks and she couldn't find it in her to care about crying in front of them. "Please, Tom, I'm sorry," she begged.

"More?" He sounded surprised, but beckoned Avery forward. "Who am I to deny you. Alfred, go on then."

He hesitated a brief second, and hope bloomed inside her until the red curse struck her once more and she was lost to the pain. It was excruciating, bending her limbs, frying her mind, burning along her insides both hot and freezing cold. Her muscles contracted violently, as though her organs were being pierced over and over and over—