Chapter 52

She knew something was wrong when Albus asked to visit her outside their usual Sunday afternoon tea. It just was a feeling, but a strong one. Donal made sure to stay with her that day, helping her bake lemon biscuits and cut little sandwiches for the three of them. They worked together in silence and harmony borne out of decades of partnership. How long had she loved him now, three decades? It was strange to think of life without him and his grandchildren and the little ones Janie's oldest had had last year.

When the wizard's signature knock sounded on the door, Don answered and let him in while she brought over the tea tray.

"Albus, welcome. Would you care from some tea?" she offered.

"Please, that would be lovely." She poured three cups and made her own and Donal's to their tastes, the professor adding his heaping spoons of sugar. "Ah. You always steep it just right."

She laughed. "Not that you can taste it under all that sugar."

"Nonsense! The sugar brings out the taste even more." He sat with the teacup on his knee and for once he didn't seem oddly large, nor the cup particularly small. In his advancing age, the wizard had become more in line with reality.

"Biscuit?" said Donal. The recipe was from his great-grandmother and he took great pride in the perfect consistency and the balance of sweetness with the slight hint of lemony tartness.

"Yes, thank you," the centenarian said, taking a few from the proffered plate. "These are delightful, you must share the recipe someday."

"Then however would we convince you to keep coming, Albus?" she quipped. "We all know you're only here for the McKay family lemon biscuits."

"You know me too well."

They munched on the snacks and sipped their tea, enjoying the quiet afternoon. They were unhurried, despite Elena knowing it was a matter of time before Albus told her the reason he was here. It wasn't an emergency, so she could wait.

At last, setting down his second cup of tea, the man began. "This past school year Voldemort made his presence known again."

A part of her had expected this, known it would come one day. She grew stony and both men laid a hand each on one of hers in comfort. "We knew it would happen someday. How—what happened?"

Albus told her a tale beginning some years ago with rumors that flitted through Albany. She knew Tom had gone there at some point in his youth but had no idea why it was significant enough for his broken soul to vanish to. Apparently, he was less than human and had attached himself to a man in order to grow stronger. That man served him in exchange for a promise of power, letting the parasitic monster Tom had become push him to slaughter unicorns and hunt for something that could return him to semblance of life. The Philosopher's Stone.

Elena nearly laughed when she heard that. Yes, the stone could extend life indefinitely, but one still aged. The world still changed. And she didn't know if it had the ability to make a body for a monster mostly spirit.

Tom had almost succeeded but the boy from all those years ago had foiled him again. Harry Potter. The poor child had endured losing his parents and once more faced the dark wizard and lived.

"They felt pain when they touched Harry. And Harry... it seems he has a connection to Voldemort. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm slowly piecing things together," Albus said. "You saw how he was when he last came to Hogwarts."

Elena shivered, recalling the horribly melted, twisted features that had become Tom. "How long do you think we have?" she said at last.

Albus contemplated, twirling the end of his beard. "I'm not sure. Years at least, perhaps longer if he can't find anyone to assist him."

Donal squeezed her hand in his. "We've been careful, love. We've neither married nor had children. If he hears about the little love we've had along the way, he can't possibly care if he's barely alive. He has more pressing matters."

She thought on that and nodded at last. "Tom's always feared death. I think because of a childhood of starvation and war. Until he's certain of his power again, he won't care about anything outside of regaining his former strength." Elena brought Don's hand to her mouth and kissed it. "We have time."

"I will let you know when anything more arises."

"Thank you, Albus. How is the boy?" she asked. "It must have been frightening, to fight the wizard who killed his parents."

"One would think so," Albus agreed. "Harry is brave. A Gryffindor through and through. His main worry was keeping everyone safe. He had friends with him but went on alone by choice."

That was both impressive and worrisome. "Is he reckless by nature?"

Albus laughed. "I told you about his father James and his little band of friends, yes?" Elena remembered tales of the foursome and the shenanigans they'd get into. Somehow, they slipped into nooks and crannies no one knew and when Albus eventually told her about James' invisibility cloak she had thought it was the grandest prank. "I think he and his two friends, Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger may give them a run for their money in that department."

"Are you sure you're not ready to retire?"

"Never!" the wizard proclaimed to the amusement of all three of them.

Cato jumped at the sound then climbed into Albus' lap and began to clean himself. Albus smiled at the fluffy cat, taking pleasure in this little moment. Too soon little moments would be all they had.