Chapter 42

As he was wont to do on his late mornings, Tom Riddle stood on her doorstep with a cup of tea as she opened it. Unfortunately, she'd had no idea he was going to show up as it wasn't his usual late day to the shop. Elena had told him the previous day that she wouldn't be coming to see him, she had other business. And here he was.

"Good morning, doll." He pressed a chaste kiss to her cheek as she took the cup.

"Why are you here, Tom?"

His eyes flashed red and she suppressed a shiver. "I thought I would accompany you on your errands. Is that alright?"

It was a question, but it wasn't. Elena sucked in her bottom lip, chewing thoughtfully. Perhaps if she told him he would be merciful and let her go. "Erm, I'm visiting my da today."

His mouth quirked up and he slung an arm around her. "Excellent. It's time I met him."

"Tom, please." She laid a hand on his chest, trying to create space between them. "I'd prefer to see my da alone. He's not well. I don't know how much time I have with him."

"You want to go alone." She nodded and he pulled her in tighter against him. "If I allow it, I want something in return." Fear flickered through her and he chuckled. "Come with me tonight. Abraxas is having some of the men over for drinks. I'll be staying the night and I want you with me."

Elena didn't care for Abraxas Malfoy. He was pompous, misogynistic, bigoted. He saw her as a piece of meat Tom Riddle used and would possibly hand off to reward his followers. Every time she was near him, he practically oozed superiority. "Who else will be there?"

"Nott and Dolohov will both be in attendance, if you're worried about having no one you like present."

"Fine. I'll do it."

Tom graced her with one of his smiles. "Good girl. Make sure to bring a change of clothes. You'll be sharing my bed." He leaned over her, kissing her lips this time, tongue running over her inner lip where she'd often have an imprint of her teeth. "I will expect you no later than eight."

Elena smiled wanly and nodded, then set out on her way.

--

He weighed so little now; she could wrap her hand around his thin wrists. His breathing was labored.

"Da." Elena kissed his forehead and sat in the chair beside his bed. He'd recently taken a turn for the worse and she was worried there wasn't much that could be done.

He opened his eyes groggily and smiled at her. "Ella-bell, my sweet girl." She took one of his hands in both of hers and kissed his knuckles, then laid her cheek against his hand, holding it there. "I didna think I'd see you again so soon."

Her accent was thicker with both emotion and his mere presence. "Of course, da. I promised I'd come. How are you?"

"Oh, you know, darling." One of his fingers caressed her cheek. "Some days are not so bad and some days..." Jack Mullens shrugged. "But any day where you visit is the very best of days."

"Mmm," she hummed. "My days would be a mite better if I knew you were eating."

"Phaw, everything they make here is terrible. I tell ya, Elle, these wizarding folk need to use less magic when they cook. I think it makes the food lose its flavor."

"It doesn't matter how it tastes, da. You're too skinny; you need to eat and keep your strength up." She released one of her hands from his and stroked his sandy hair. It was lank, dull, full of greys now. That last was from age, but the rest came from the same place as his sallow flesh. "The healers have promised me they feed you nutritious food."

"It tastes like shit," he grumbled.

Elena tried to keep the grin from her face. "How about next time I visit, I bring some fish and chips from that place I go in muggle London?"

Jack yawned and nodded lethargically. "I'd gobble up that."

"Da, are you gonna fall asleep again?" His skin had been cooler than hers lately, as though he were truly withering away.

"Just resting my eyes, Ella-bell."

She nodded, though he couldn't see it. He drifted off almost instantly and she pulled out a book to read, still holding his hand.

Once upon a time, Jack Mullens had been a man whose energy seemed boundless. He hadn't needed magic to make the world a brighter place; he did it with his laugh and his music. She'd known he wasn't a big man; he was only a handspan taller than she was and weighed less now, though he'd had a wiry strength in his prime. His cobalt eyes were always friendly, and his thrice-broken nose added a certain roguishness to his face. He was everything to her and her short visits with him throughout the latter part of her childhood had kept her together.

Even now, with Aurek gone and her mother willing to let things lie, her da was the string around her heart that grounded her in reality. Though she tried not to think about it often she knew he wouldn't stay with her much longer. Every time she visited, he was weaker and thinner; his skin was transparent as though he was he was disappearing bit by bit. When that happened, she wouldn't have anything tethering her to the world, muggle or magical.

"Da." She stroked his worn cheek lovingly. "What am I going to do without you?"

Elena remained at her father's side until the evening. When he woke the first time, she had asked a healer to play one of his favorite compositions. He'd lain there narrating his favorite parts for her, left fingers twitching as his right hand flicked side to side. He was playing along in his head and it wore him out quickly.

At least she managed to get him to eat; it's why Elena was starting to stay for longer stretches of time. She would guilt and cajole him and eventually half of it would be gone. She'd managed all three meals this time, the most he'd eaten in ages.

When he woke around seven in the evening, she knew it was time to leave. It ached, but she'd rather say goodbye to him awake than leave while he was drifting off in the world of dreams. "I'll be back as soon as I can manage, da. And I'll bring your fish and chips."

They exchanged a kiss. "You're too good to me. Love you always, Ella-Bell."

"Love you ever, da."

The healers nodded as she passed; Jack Mullens had been at the hospice for a year and by now they all recognized the daughter of their affable muggle resident. She was among their most regular visitors.

As she popped into her apartment (something she preferred not doing, as a brisk walk was good for the constitution), she hurriedly washed and changed, charming her hair into soft curls lest Tom take it upon himself (he preferred it that way) to do so. Her lips were deep scarlet, the rest of the makeup simple. She put on stilettos last of all and stared at herself in the mirror, sighing. How much she'd changed herself so that Tom Riddle would be pleased with her. Styled up, black hose, heels. At least he approved of her typical day attire (read, business attire). Black skirt with the short sleeved red blouse this time.

Elena glanced at the time. Right, she had almost forgotten a change of clothes. She summoned a simple powder blue dress, undergarments, practical footwear, then her hygiene items, putting it all in a handbag large enough to service. Was there anything else she needed to do? No. And the clock was inching closer to eight. Tom would not be happy if she wasn't there on the dot.

She nibbled her bottom lip irately. There was no use putting off the inevitable. She grabbed the powder from the jar on her mantle and tossed it in. "Malfoy Manor."