Chapter 55

She'd known she would have to give him something in exchange for her request, though a part of her had hoped he would do it on principle. Tom Riddle may be a power-hungry psychopath, but he truly did care for Hogwarts. It was special to him. Still, what was one night in all of this? Tomorrow she would go home and mend her broken pieces in Donal's arms.

Tom led her toward his makeshift throne, seating himself on it and smiling at her all the while. Elena knew what she was intended to do, but she had said she would be willing, not that she would anticipate his every desire. She took the moment before he gave the inevitable order to study him once more.

He was every bit as tall and commanding as he'd been when younger, but the darkness he'd used to rend apart his soul had taken a heavy toll. He was somewhere between a snake and a man with his flat nose and light scaling across his flesh. His eyes were now fully crimson, and the pupils were slit like a serpent. He wasn't the twisted, melted thing she'd seen last, but he was imposing, frightening to behold.

"Elena," he drawled. "Come, pet."

She shook her head free of the careful study and sat primly on his lap, her ankles crossed where they rested against his legs, upright. Yes, she was playing the role of his tonight, but Elena would make sure he saw how far she'd come. She chose this, she was under her own power.

He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her back against his chest, breathing in her scent and releasing it against her throat. "You smell like sunshine, pet. Sunshine and Dreamless Sleep. Why is that?"

"I brew potions and live in a forest where I often forage," she said impassively.

"Lovely." His tongue flicked against her skin and she felt her lip curl before she could help it. "You're being so very brave. You know I'm going to destroy your cool façade before the evening is over."

She shrugged. "Perhaps. I'll rebuild myself again."

He hummed, stroking her throat.

Elena was pleased at her composure. She had thought she would be terrified, but she was curiously alright. She knew her grandchildren, those who were younger, would be returning to Hogwarts after the summer. They would be safe. She would return home and play with the little ones in her garden, giving their parents a much-needed break. Donal would assist her in weeding among her herbs. He would hold her when she needed it. Life would be the same placidity she'd come to love.

Once she was settled on his lap, he went about his business as he was wont to do. Death Eaters trekked in and out of the room to give reports. She scowled at the snatchers, hoping the man she thought of as her son-in-law was safe. She would have to speak with him when she returned home. The Death Eaters, mostly men, all eyed her in confusion at some point, but said nothing. Everyone pretended this was ordinary for Lord Voldemort.

Between reports from a werewolf whose hungry grin reminded her of Lestrange and a young man who couldn't have been long out of Hogwarts something slipped over her shoulder. She thought it was Tom's hand at first before feeling the cool smoothness of snakeskin. Sliding across her, surrounding her was the largest snake she'd ever seen.

"Nagini," Tom warned. "Play nice. Elena is here temporarily." He stroked the large creature's head. It rose to sniff along her jaw before laying its head on Tom's shoulder and hissing softly. They engaged in a short discussion, Elena stiff despite Tom's supposed protection. He smiled and eyed Elena as he spoke.

"Something funny, Tom?"

Nagini hissed and sputtered at her face.

"I thought you were going to be willing this evening, pet," he said evenly, soothing the snake with his long fingers gliding over its back. "That is not the proper way to address me."