Chapter 1 (prologue): It all falls down

"LEXIE", Mark Shouted Lexie's head was spinning and weighed down at the same time. All she could remember was a crash – the leather seat she held onto so tightly, struggling with the seat belt, Mark's eyes as he looked back and met hers, the loud crash, breaking off, and she was flying. She was flying and she was falling and then it all went dark.And then came the pain. Lexie gasped, only to choke on something warm and tangy like – only she realized it was blood because she could remember how blood tasted like. She tasted blood, not her own, when Mark's patient's carotid artery burst, Nick. Even when Lexie had managed to control the bleed, he still bled out, he still died.Lexie spat out the blood and gasped, fluttering her eyes open. Her right hand moved around her, over the leaves and soil and dirt until they felt something, metal. She grasped it and took a deep breath, closing her eyes, trying to recognize the foreign object – except it wasn't all that foreign, it was the seat belt. Lexie lifted her head a little to look down at herself, before she let out a whimper. All she could see was metal, everywhere. She was crushed, and she couldn't exactly feel her legs. Lexie tried to sit up, to drag herself out from under whatever she was under, but her left arm wouldn't respond. Lexie fell back and her head stared ahead. She could see more debris ahead. Lexie curled her hand around the seat belt and shakily lifted her hand to hit it against the metal above her.Then she heard a familiar voice calling her name."Mark", Lexie replied.Cristina's gonna be back any minute," Mark ignored her."Mark," She repeated."She's gonna be back and we're going to get you stabilized. You're gonna be fine, okay?" He informed her with certainty."Nuh...No Mark,""In just a few minutes, okay?" He assured and then turned his head around to see if she was back yet. "She's coming back any minute,""Mark...I'm...I'm dying," Lexie told him. The words shocked Mark.Lexie's breath started to quicken as Mark turned his head back to her, his face was fixed into a look of surprise and confusion. "What? No you're not," He quickly put out."Mhm," Lexie confirmed. Her chest heaved from the pain. "I am. Puh...Puh...Please," She began, but the shortness of breath and pain made it hard for her to speak. It also didn't help that she'd begun to cry. "Tell Meredith...That I love her...And that...She was a good... Sister....And Please...Tell my dad,""You're not dying. You're going to be fine," Mark said in a sweet and gentle sounding voice in his oblivion, unable to accept the probable fact.But Lexie didn't look convinced. She moved her shaking hand slowly, closer to Mark. "Hold my hand,"Mark looked down at her hand that was opened wide, waiting for him. He gave it a funny look at them and then pulled his own hands back and said, "I'm not holding your hand because you're not dying."But Lexie still knew that he was wrong. She was dying. She didn't know when it would happen but she feared she didn't have much time left, so If she was going to die she wanted to hold Mark one last time."Hold my...Hand," She repeated, waving it closer to him while her eyes glanced down. Tears dripped down her eyes. The position she was in made it even harder for her to see because the tears would pool in her eyes."No, You're not dying. Do you hear me? You don't die today," Mark stated confidently with a serious face as he stared into the scared eyes of the woman he loved. He then stood up from where he was laying down next to Lexie.Lexie watched as he did so and her eyes rolled over and closed form the worry and fear she felt for Mark. As he clutched the plane and tried to lift it Lexie could hear his screams of pain. Those hurt almost more than the pain she felt from being trapped underneath the darned thing.The pain griped Mark the worst this time. It knocked the breath right out of him and he nearly toppled over. He stood for a moment leaning against the scrap metal, trying to regain his breath and let his heart stop racing so fast and then as he lost all hope he unsteadily laid back down next to Lexie and picked up her hand, squeezing it tightly between his as the tears began to flow again....For both of them."I love you," Mark stated to Lexie with emotion.Lexie began to shake her head as she replied, "You don't have to say it...Just because I... Said it,""I do...I love you. I love you. I have always been in love with you. I will always be in love with you," Mark cried with certainty.Those words made Lexie smile, "Yeah?" Her voice lightened as she asked."Yeah," Mark assured, and tightened his grip on her hand even more, "Which is why you have to stay alive. We...we....We're gonna get married." He shouted out, his face lifting from the dreary look he'd had on. Lexie's eyes had started to glaze over but as she heard this her heart almost dropped and her face frozen in shock."And you're gonna be an amazing surgeon," he said. She gave a large smile at this. "And we're going to have two or three kids,""So...Sofia can...Have...Siblings," Lexie spoke her words spaced far apart from her breathlessness."Yeah," Mark smiled back with her, "A sister and two brothers,"We're gonna be happy, Lex, you and me. We're gonna have the best life, Lex, you and me. We're gonna be so happy. So you can't die, okay? You can't die. Because we're supposed to end up together. We're meant to be."Meant to be..." Lexie responded with a smile as tears flowed down her face. Her eyes slowly started to close as Mark stroked her hair crying. Then all of a sudden, Mark heard a voice."Mark", Lexie quietly whimpered as she tried her best to focus on getting out."Yes" , Mark responded." I think I can move my legs" she whimpered as she tried wiggling her legs out."That means you can still get out of the plane. All we need is help from Cristina and Meredith".Luckily, Cristina and Meredith appeared right on time to see the situation in front of them. Meredith held a large stick to help her walk. While Cristian had a homemade sling wrapped around her arm.Mark saw them approaching and yelled, " Oh thank god y'all are here ." Hurry up and help me lift this" Mark said.Meredith and Cristina just looked at him at awe and responded, " We can't Mark. We already tried and it did not work."Try one more time. I know it will work this time. I have a plan." Mark, Meredith and Cristina tried with all their strength to lift the plane. "1,2...3. " They slowly lifted the plane off of Lexie's body and pushed it over Lexie's body away from her body. "We did it", they said in unison. "Now we just have to wait till help comes and survive the best we can.The hard part was over now. Mark thought now. Mark was glad that Lexie was going to be okay. He loved her with all his heart.