‡ Divorce ‡

The sky is positively glowing with first light. The purplish snow clouds blur into the horizon and sunlight bleeds through them, lighting them ablaze with gold. A shiver courses through me as a stir comes from behind me.

I turn to find that he’s already up. He soon joins me at our massive bay window.

I look back at the window and find my expressionless face staring back at me, my hair in a frizzy pile on top of my head. Then, I see his reflection as he rests his chin on my head. He smiled.

“ Mind if I sit? ”

I nod and pat the cushy bench beside me. he hops into the empty seat and I pull him close, turning his to face out the window with me. His head finds my shoulder and he hums softly.

The sun finally drags itself over the mountaintops, a lazy yellow orb lying lax on the distant peaks. and she takes an audibly deep breath.

“ Shuichi Saihara? ” his voice breaks the silence.

He never uses my full name, and my heart instantly starts beating faster. I wonder if he can hear it. It pounds faster still when he scoots ever so slightly away from me.

“ You know I love you, right? ”

I nod, thankful for once that I have no voice to betray my calm exterior.

“ Good. ” he says, looking away from me. Here it comes. “ So, that means you should know that my leaving is not your fault. ”

The way he rushes through her sentence reeks of insincerity. I stand up and head for the door, but he grabs my wrist. Though I know I don’t want to hear anything more he has to say, I look at him.

His purple eyes are bloodshot. His hair. He’s wearing worn-out sleep shorts and my favorite t-shirt. He looks a beautiful, teary-eyed mess, and it makes my chest hurt. Hoping he won’t notice, I look out the window, past him, focusing on the fading colors of the sunrise.

Kokichi is talking again, but I block him out. I just watch the sun climb mind numbingly slowly into the wintry sky.

I’m so lost in thought that I jolt back into the real world when I feel a warmth on my jaw. My eyes find his as his hand rests on my face.

“ Saihara-chan, I know you’re not listening to me, and I know neither of us want me to go. ”

I usually swallow my emotions when Kokichi does this to me, but not this time. I frustratedly pull his hand away and rapidly sign. “ Why leave if you don’t want to? ”

“ You know why, Saihara-chan. ”

Humor me.

He sighs. “ We’ve tried everything, Saihara-chan. Marriage counselling, trial separations, talking it out, stopping talking entirely. We even put on those ridiculous marshmallow suits and fought it out! Nothing is working. Nothing is helping. I love you, but… I don’t want help anymore. I want out. ”

Though his words are harsher than usual, I appreciate the directness. He’s pulled this same stunt countless other times and not once has he outright said he ‘wants out.’

“ Sounds to me like you want to leave. That stings…. But have it your way. ”

His hand is back on my face, and I hope he feels the tenseness as I clench my teeth. “ I’m sorry, Saihara-chan. ” After a pause, he adds, “ I’ve already packed. I mean it this time. ”

“ I’m sure you do.. ”

He frowns and grabs the other side of my face, pulling me down and kissing my forehead.