8. The Aftermath

Chapter 8: The Aftermath

"What am I going to do?" Jo asked, gasping for air as we hid out in the Panera bathroom.

"I don't know!" I whispered. "All I know is that you just walked in with Lucas right in front of your ex-boyfriend." I said. "Are you and Lucas even dating?"

"Ew, no. He has a girlfriend." Jo told me. "We were just grabbing lunch." She explained.

"Well how are you going to explain that to Zach?" I wondered.

"I'll just tell him." She said, casually. "It's not like there's anything going on between me and Lucas. It'll be fine." She said as she waved me off as if she had it all down packed.

"Okay.." I breathed out deeply. "But if he gets his heart broken I'm not going to pick up the pieces." I told her. "You'll have to figure something out yourself."

"Okay. Okay." She mumbled before walking out the bathroom doors, with me following close behind. When we reached the table Jo came to Zach and asked, "Zach, can we talk?"

I sat back down in my seat before Zach responded with, "Sure. I've been meaning to talk to you too." They got up and walked up to another table on the other side of the restaurant.

"Fay?" Lena whispered to me.

"Yeah?.." I asked.

"Do you think Jo and Zach are ever going to get back together?" She asked me.

"I don't know.. Why?"

"Because I sort of..," She started before continuing, "um, how do I say this," She contemplated. "like Zach." After she said that you could tell how many mixed emotions she was feeling.

I almost choked on my soup as she finished her sentence, "You what?" I asked, trying to stay calm.

"I think I like Zach." She repeated.

"I know." I nodded, trying really hard to keep in the confusion I was feeling.

"So do you think they ever will?" She asked.

"I don't know." I said, quickly.

"I don't want to break them up or anything like that if that's what you're thinking." She explained.

"I don't think that." I smiled. "I just, I'm not sure Zach is ready to get over Jo so fast." I told her. "Not that he wouldn't love you." I replied quickly, trying to spare her feelings. "Because he would-" I rambled.

"It's fine." She said before flashing me a smile.

A few minutes later Zach and Jo came walking back. Zach sat down at my table and Jo said, "I'm going to finish my lunch with Lucas but I'll see you back at the house." And then she was off to go hang out with Lucas.

<3

Zach was back at our place while Jo was still out with Lucas. He came back with me from work because he wanted to say goodbye to Jo before he left for soccer.

Soon enough Jo came through the front doors to be greeted with Zach and I on the couch. "Hey.." Jo said as she placed her keys on the key holder and dropped her bag down on the ground.

"Hey." Zach got up and walked towards her. "I just wanted to say bye since I won't be back for a while. I have soccer." He explained to Jo.

"Oh, well thanks for stopping bye." She smiled, awkwardly. "I hope to see you soon."

"You too." He responded. "Well I guess this is goodbye for now." He told her.

"Bye." Jo replied. He started to walk away but then Jo stopped him, "Wait." She said, in a hurry. Zach turned around and waited for her action or words to come out of her mouth. She wrapped her arms around him before he could say a word and then let go quickly.

A smile grew on his face and then he whispered, "Bye." He waved before walking towards the door. And once he was out of our apartment he waved one last time before closing it shut behind him and leaving.

As soon as he left Jo walked over to the couch and fell backwards onto it. "Ugh."

"What?" I asked.

"I'm sort of regretting what I told Zach today."

"What'd you say?" I asked her as I got up off the couch.

"That I didn't want a boyfriend right now." She sighed. "But I think I may have lied." She whispered. "Because the truth is, I really miss him." She let out a deep breath before popping up and sitting on the arm of the couch.

"Well just think it through for a few days and if you still miss him then you can call him and tell him how you feel." I told her as I poured myself a cup of tea. "I don't want you to give him false hope." I said as I sat down on the couch.

"You're right." She responded. "This love thing is just so complicated." She sighed. "How did you have it so easy?"

"Oh trust me," I laughed. "Coen and my relationship is far from being easy!"

"But it just seems so perfect!" Jo exclaimed.

"Facade." I replied.

"Yeah right." Jo argued. "You guys are far away from imperfect and facades."

"Whatever you say!" I sang as I got up and walked away to the glass dinning table.

"You just don't see your guys amazingness." She smirked as she came and joined me.

"I guess we are sort of amazing." I giggled in a sarcastic way and then smiled at Jo.

"I'm glad I have you as a best friend." Jo gave me a grin. "I know you'll always put up with me and all my boy problems." She said thankfully.

"And I'm glad I have you as a best friend." I gave her a hug and we stayed like that for a while, making us one not two.

<3

"What should we have for dinner?" Jo asked me as I gave Taz his food.

"Mac and cheese?" I asked, not really knowing what to eat.

"Sure!" She responded as she took out one box of 'Annie' mac and cheese. "Do you want to make it?" Jo asked as she handed me the box.

"I gues.." I said, unsurely. "I don't really think you should trust me with your food. It'll just end up burnt." I laughed.

"Oh, well." She said as she gestured as if it wasn't a big deal.

"Okay then!" I sang. "Burnt dinner it is." I smiled as she sat down on the couch and turned on the t.v.

"You know what we shoudl watch?" Jo asked, excited.

"What?" I asked as I stirred the pasta noodles.

"Definatley, Maybe!" She exclaimed. "it's really cute!" She squealed. "I promise!"

"Okay, I trust you." I responded.

"Yay!" She smiled as she put it on the t.v.

I finished cooking the mac and cheese while the movie started. I brought the two bowls out to the coffee table. One for Jo and one for me. Then we sat on the couch eating dinner, watching a movie and eventually falling asleep.