chapter 1

Aideen's POV:

For as long as I can remember, we have been at war. My land, my people, constantly threatened by the only suitors capable of taking us down for good. One false step and we are ruined. Being the princess and heir to the throne comes with big responsibilities. Growing up I was told stories of a world at peace. A place where fire, earth, water, and air signs alike all coexisted in harmony. I used to daydream about such a place. Refusing to believe what I was being taught about what life would look like from now on. I always believed there was another way. It has long since become clear to me that there is no other way. We have been at war for a century. Someone must fight and win and I was born to lead my people to victory and do just that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Banphrionsa, your presence has been requested." I quickly shoved the notebook I had been flipping through under my bed before turning to smile at Egan. He was my mother's right-hand man and in her passing, he has become mine. Though he will always be more of a father to me than an actual servant. I would take a sword to the chest for him.

"My goodness! Have you not heard of knocking?" I clutch my chest as if he has given me a heart attack. "And you know how much I despise you using formal terms around me. To my people I am Banphrionsa, to you I am Aideen. Or is your brain too old and shriveled to remember my birth name?"

"Ah yes, but what would the other servants think if I got to call you such and they could not. They would find you young and foolish is what." I narrowed my eyes at him and crossed my arms over my chest, very familiar with this idea of me being "young and foolish".

"Well maybe if they were more focused on their jobs and less focused on how "young and foolish" I am, I would let them call me Aideen too." I sat down on my bed pouting petulantly as Egan settled into my quarters, closing the door softly behind him. His face grew stern and I grew weary of the conversation. "I'm assuming this visit is not of pleasure so what is it, spit it out."

"We have just received word that Lofti territory is under attack. Elohi soldiers have invaded. They are requesting assistance in the form of soldiers." I ponder for a second before attempting to find a solution.

"We'll send six troops tonight. They are our allies. If they suffer we suffer. What choice do we have." Lasair, my land; the land of the fire people, has been allied to Lofti for almost half a century now. Air and fire were not an ideal match. people of the Lofti land were flighty and indecisive but they were our best shot at rivaling earth and water which had allied together.

"Yes, Banphrionsa. If I may caution, there has also been word of a suspected attack on Lasair land by Mizu troops." Mizu is the land of water. The people of Mizu land are slippery and manipulative. They fight dirty and they don't feel bad.

"But what is the point in that? They would have a better chance at defeating us if they sent in Elohi troops. Do you think this is a trap?" I pondered as I paced back and forth. The Elohi land was the land of the earth's people. They are smart and well thought out. Do not underestimate them at any cost. Over the years we have found that people that possess Elohi powers are the only people capable of truly defeating people with Lasair powers. You can drench a fire in water, and even blow it out but nothing can kill a fire quite as permanent as one that has been smothered by the earth.

"I do not know Banphrionsa, but I would recommend merely delivering four troops to our allies so that we remain with adequate numbers." I ponder this suggestion again. Egan has always been the brains in this operation and I trust him implicitly but I can't help but wonder what the alternative war tactic was here. Why send Elohi troops to Lofti land and leave Mizu troops with Lasair. Surely they knew Mizu troops would stand no chance.

"Yes do that."

"It will be okay Banphrionsa, you have me if nothing else." Egan placed a hand over mine for comfort and remained in my room.

"Is there more Egan?" normally he would be off to give orders by now but his presence insisted there was more.

"It's your mother Aideen. Her ceremony will be held tomorrow and you will be expected to address the people after." I gasped as I pulled my hand away from his. Everything was happening so fast. It seemed like just yesterday I held her in my lap and sang to her, brushing her hair as her last breath left her lips.

"I can not address my people like this." I gestured to my ratty hair and the bags under my eyes. "I am in no shape to lead them and I can not stand strong with my mother lying lifeless feet away from me Egan; I can not." I started to panic, pacing circles around my room. Because I am only 17 and not yet of age to be queen, I must address my people in person and they decide if I am fit enough to be queen or not. I must be voted in and It is single-handedly the most important event in my life.

"Aideen, listen to me. These people have watched you grow, have watched your mother grow. They love you! they will not let you down."

"And what If I let them down! what if I simply can not do this. Or what If I turn out like my father." I blurted, barely hearing what I was saying as the words spewed out of my mouth.

"You are nothing like your father Aideen. You are all your mother and I am half convinced she created you all herself. She was strong enough you know." I settled slightly at his calming words and sat down next to him on my bed, leaning my head against his shoulder.

"I can only wish to be half as good of a leader as she was." I sighed and Egan wrapped his arms around me tightly, pulling me to him.

"You will be Banphrionsa. In fact, I have a feeling you may even be better."

-----------------------

Okay, first chapter is done! Y'all stick with it it gets better I swear. Also don't worry, I am hoping to make these longer as the story goes on. Happy reading!

- Amirah

Egan:

Egan:

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।
The Rule of Bloodजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें