Chapter 30: Burning in love

After the ice cream, we walked a couple more blocks until we reached the Civil Registry office. It was in the same huge building where the mayor's office was in another sector. I was still a bit nervous, but it was enough that Sirius was wearing that shirt with those sensors for them to let us pass without asking anything. 

A lady welcomed us with a wide smile. Hardly anyone used this nowadays, so she must have gotten a little excited.

"Hey, sweethearts... How can I help you?" she asked.

"We want to sign for..."

"Yes," she interrupted happily. "Very good. I'll be right back." She left the office. 

I looked at Sirius. The woman would not take long to ask why he didn't take off his sunglasses despite being inside a closed environment. The lady returned with some papers.

"Uh, he had an eye surgery and..."

"Oh no, baby, you're fine, don't worry. Here... Read and sign, and I'll need your IDs." She gave us the papers and took the IDs to put them in the system.

The lady came out again while we signed the document. It said the basic things, listed the spouses' rights, and so on. After returning, the lady began to fill out a virtual copy with our information. She looked at us from time to time and smiled.

"You look so cute together," she said when she saw us read shoulder to shoulder some of the paragraphs. "Well," she said enthusiastically, "that's it. Here is your marriage certificate."

She handed us the paper, kept the copies, and smiled at us. We smiled too, although Sirius only smiled slightly so as not to show his teeth.

"Thank you."

I put the paper in my bag, and we stood up.

"I hope your eyesight gets better, young man," said the woman with the same enthusiasm.

"Thank you," he replied in that pretty, manly voice.

The woman seemed delighted. 

We left. I had already committed the second youthful madness of my life, but I was smiling at it. We walked the streets.

"That was quick," he commented. "She was a nice lady."

"I know, right?"

"Are there more humans who speak like this in that sweet way to others?"

I chuckled, already knowing that this would surprise him too since they talked to each other in a formal way among evolved people, even with their parents, from what I had seen.

"Not many, but yes, some do. For example, Rosy's mother."

"Interesting."

I took his arm since I couldn't take his hand hidden in his pants pocket.

"Do humans do something special after getting married?"

"Uhm, yes."

"Because Max asked if we had a honeymoon or something after we got together, and the truth is I don't know what it is."

"Well, usually, the couple travels to a new place to meet. They usually stay in a hotel, and also..." I blushed, looking at the ground. "... They make love..." I muttered.

"Make love?" he asked. "Interesting way of calling things. It's what we do, right? I mean, I feel like it's like that. Every time I touch or kiss you, it's magical."

I chuckled.

"Yes. There are several ways to make love."

"In any case, taking you to my city counts as something new too."