"I Never Did Before Understand"

Chapter 21.

Heavy Weather by Billie Marten
I woke up thinking I was alone and not understanding how much it would scare me.

I calmed down hearing his shuffling feet around my room and the softly pattering rain outside. He was trying to be quiet as to not wake me, but I was glad the noise he reluctantly made was as reassuring to me as it was. I needed to call mum, but I felt myself wanting to push it back, maybe wait until after breakfast.

Against my will I decided to call her right then, we'd slept in a long time, I didn't want her to worry. I was almost sure she was already. All of this I decided whilst pretending I was still asleep, comfortable now that Harry was in the room.

I felt a little peck on my forhead as I fluttered my eyelids open. He brushed the damp hair off my neck, a product of uneasy rest and a rather vivid dream.
I smiled, laughing because he thought I was asleep. "Well goodmorning." He raised his eyebrows, pursing his lips in a not-well-hidden grin.

"I showered, I hope that's okay." He said, pulling on the same shirt he slept in. "No yeah, that's okay." I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. "I need to call my mum." Harry nodded. "Maybe I should call mine too," he thought aloud, "it's been awhile."

I went to go outside, just now noticing that it was pouring outside. I smiled to myself as I counted the rings, but decided to stay inside. "Hi mum." I said. "How are you feeling?"

I talked to her for not as long as I thought it'd be, she seemed to be doing well. Luckily I was too, or I'd definitely try to act like it for her. She sent Harry and I well wishes, as well as reminders to drink a lot of water today. She asked a lot about H and I, per usual but I knew today she was following her routine of distraction.

"Harry she wants to talk to you too." I said, blushing. "You sound sleepy Darby what time did you get to bed last night?" She asked, her sweet, calming tone replaced with an unsteadiness. I knew she was alright, only worked up.

"About 4 a.m. last night, Freya." I looked at Harry with a skeptical look as he answered, "5 or 6 probably." I mouthed so that my mum wouldn't hear.

"You better be staying out of trouble, Darbs." "She is." Harry took it upon himself to answer again, which I found funny. He slipped a hand behind my back, which I'd come to believe was a natural thing for him to do, "Her writing is amazing, she's even helped write some lines on my album."

I covered my mouth. "Darby, what?" I heard her say. I squeezed my eyes shut, knowing exactly what my mum would say. "You showed him? You don't show anyone that, honey." There it was.

"To be fair..." I began, "I haven't shown him really anything for months." I stared him down with a growing grin.

"I have to get to work, Darby." She laughed, "I'll talk to you tonight, okay?" "Love you, mum." "Bye, Harry!" "Bye, Freya!"

I let her hang up first, "It looks like you've caught both of our fancies." I laughed softly, pulling my hair back with a claw clip. "I have work today, we'll have to get going soon." I immediately saw a text from Anna, as if she'd known what I'd just said.

"You can take the day off today, if you'd like. Pastries on me if you want to visit." I read aloud.

"So looks like we're having breakfast at Anna's and then have the entire day?" Harry questioned, he sat with his legs crossed on the bed. "I want to go back to bed but... good plan." I grabbed a stack of clothes and started to the bathroom. "I'll shower and then we can leave."

...

Looking at myself in the mirror was always an interesting thing. Ranged from dance parties to feeling like the human embodiment of a sloth. Though sloths were cute. I lived by that honestly.