"Wandering Headshake, Tired Eyes"

Chapter 24.

Dear Harry,

I find myself finding you in my thoughts more than I believe I ever intended.

...

Collar of Your Shirt by Matt Berninger
I watched the sun rise hours ago. And I didn't sleep one bit before heading to the café. Despite the fact that I felt incredible for writing some of the things that I did, I couldn't any longer process anything. I was at the point where my head just hurt and my eyes didn't want to stay open. I think it was obvious.

"Hi, Anna." I said, slugging around the back as I got ready to open.

"You don't look super up-and-at-it today." I shook my head to answer. "Tell me what happened."

"I just stayed up writing, no big deal." And of course the following yawn was enough to prove me wrong.

"Harry came in the other night after you had left." Her voice rung like she was singing her favorite song.

"...I told him I was working late to make him feel better about the meeting he had. I mean, I wasn't lying, I came in to clean up but for only a little bit. Then I went home and wrote for hours about everything going on in my brain."

"I can tell you're tired, you're rambling. If you don't mind me asking, what were you writing?" She knew I didn't often talk about it, but I ran myself into this one. I wiped down the front counter as she went to unlock the doors.

"I wrote some letters. To lots of people." I watched her raise her eyebrows, "Yes, you."

She made a flattered look, still not saying anything aloud. "I'm not going to send them out or actually give them to whoever I addressed. That is quite... a lot of pressure." I shook my head. A couple of people came in, which shut me right up.

"Cosa ti piacerebbe?" I asked. "Caffè, per favore."

"Naturalmente." I smiled, turning to the door as the bell rang at it's opening.

It was him, this early in the morning, still wearing sweats and an old t-shirt. I waved to him, and then made the coffee for the customer. "Ecco qui. Buona Giornata!"

I watched him join the line casually, as I continued to finish up the orders. It was early enough that only regular customers were here, and he could go pretty much unnoticed, I think he appreciated that. The light of the day peeked through the front doors and I was drawn to how he was nearly glowing.

"Crostata di fragole?" I held it out, fresh out of the oven. A lady raised her hand and I gave it to her, smiling. "You're getting pretty good at this, aren't you." I heard from beside me.

I grinned, "I am, yes. Blueberry?"

"Actually that strawberry pastry you mentioned sounds wonderful. I'll have that." I nodded and began to fulfill his request, as he asked me if I was tired after I yawned again.

"I didn't sleep at all last night." I laughed at myself. "Were you writing?" I nodded my head to answer. "All night, wow."

"But I got to watch the sun rise." I smiled, holding out the pastry in a little paper bag. He took it and smelled the inside, "Lovely."

For a moment I didn't necessarily know what to say, I didn't know what his plans were for the rest of the day but-

"I have the whole day booked with a shoot until tonight." It was like he read from my mind.