Chapter 14: Homemade

GLORIA, AMBER, AND I ate our sandwiches and sunbathed on the blanket for a while. I was watching the white clouds float above me and picking out shapes in them. I had just found a duck when Gloria asked, "Well, one more dip before we go back?"

The three of us climbed back into the hot springs and I floated on my back once again. It felt so nice and relaxing I could have gone to sleep. Fear of drowning kept me nice and awake though!

"Come on Princess," I heard as Gloria suddenly sat me upright and put me her shoulders.

"What?!?" I said a little startled.

She just laughed at me though and carried me over to the blanket. "Ashley, just put your pants and shirt over your swimsuit sweetie," Mom said next to me.

I was all too happy to do it too, because I felt so naked on my lower body. Boys always had their chests uncovered, but girls basically went around in less than their panties to swim! I noticed Mom put away her new camera slyly a few minutes later, 'When was she taking pictures of me?'

The three of us finished packing up the blanket and picnic supplies onto Gloria's saddle before she picked me up and helped me onto Beauty. Mom took the camera out again and took another picture, "Hey, I'm onto you!" I told her.

She just stuck her tongue out at me. "Okay, you caught me."

The three of us started back at a walk and eventually I thought we were trotting along faster than we had gone earlier. We came to the ranch much faster than we had left, so I had a feeling I was right. "Let's get these ladies put away," Gloria said as she helped me down in front of the barn. The three of us led the horses in and began taking care of their needs. I was able to give Beauty an apple that Gloria slipped me and I swore she was beginning to like me as much as I liked her.

When all of them were taken care of I found myself being pulled along by the hand to the house. "Ashley, let's get you in the bath," Mom insisted.

"It's too early for a bath?" I tried to hedge.

"No, it's not, we're all stinky and dusty from the ride." Gloria piped in behind me.

"But..." I tried to whine some more, but I knew it would be of no use. "Does that mean I have to go to bed soon?" I asked, worriedly at my doorway.

"Of course not!" Mom told me with a giggle and gave me a hug. "But I do want you in your pajamas when we're done," she added.

"But..."

"But nothing, we're going to enjoy being in pajamas, making dinner, cookies, and then we're all going to go downstairs and watch a movie and eat those cookies!" She told me with a smile.

"You're not going to make me go to bed early?" I asked.

"Nope, you can stay up as late as you want tonight."

"Really?" I asked incredulously.

"Really."

"Okay." As I turned to find my nightgown, I saw her walk to her room, open her door, and then return back to my room in a flash. She went to the bathtub and started the water before adding bubble bath. "A bubble bath?" I asked.

"Uh-huh, and you are to stay in said bubble bath until I get back over here!"

"Okay...?" I said a little confused.

"Good girl," Mom said and went to her own bedroom.

'God, Mom acts weirder and weirder every day I think...'

I was about to close the door and pull my clothes off when she came right back in with a Rubbermaid tub. "Umm... I bought you some bath toys that I thought you might enjoy."