Chapter 30: Reading Into It

AGENT KLINE WOKE up and headed into the office to try and put this case to bed. He was tired of thinking about this one all of the time and hoped that somehow, he could figure out where Megan was soon.

"Hey Boss, you have a moment?" Jake asked as he walked by.

"Sure, come on in."

They closed the door and he asked, "What's up?"

"Well, I just wanted to pass along that Raimondo is heading to New Mexico today."

"Do we know why?"

"Some of my guys think it has to do with firming up their supply lines after the Vermont raid."

Bob sighed, "You know they could have at least had the decency to make us think that raid did some good, but they seem to have just shifted their line somewhere else."

"We're thinking Minnesota maybe..."

"But maybe a switch to New Mexico is coming?" Kline suggested.

"Makes sense, Arizona and Texas are getting pretty secure at the border now. New Mexico is the weakest link of the whole thing. It doesn't help that they have a very limited desire to enforce immigration law there too."

"Well, do remember that the title of our southern neighbor is in the name of their state! It would make sense they would be sympathetic."

"Yeah..."

"Anyway, so he's probably just going down there to get their backup line going?" he asked.

"Maybe... I'm thinking they want this to be the main line though, especially if Raimondo is going."

Kline nodded, "You don't think this has anything to do with Megan?"

"You think she's in New Mexico?"

Kline bit his tongue but he was pretty sure Jake wasn't the mole. "That's what my gut is telling me."

"Any idea where?"

"Not a clue. She's good, she's completely changed her appearance and her son's appearance," he said, but held back how much.

"Well, we kind of figured that had to happen."

"Yeah... Anyway, I have a few new leads I'm going to run down this week. I'm hoping that in a couple weeks at the latest we'll find her... Or at least where she's been hiding at since she left Dallas."

"You don't think she'll stay put?"

"Depends..."

"On...?"

"How safe she feels where she's at. If she feels it's secure enough, she may risk sticking around, if she feels she's in danger she may very well move on. She might have done so several times by now."

"I take it you're hoping she stayed around?"

"Hoping..."

"Well good luck boss, I'll see you later."

"Thanks for the information about Raimondo, have our office in Albuquerque tail him if they can."

"It's not that big of an office, but I'll see if they can get someone on it."

As Jake left Bob had to think back and about his conversations with him. While he hoped he wasn't the mole, he definitely didn't want any information getting to him for now anyway. With that he opened up his bag and made sure he had the discs he needed and called out on his phone, "Hey Agent Serna, do you have some time to go over some things with me on your fancy computer...?"