3

When I made it upstairs, the first thing I did was grab my pillow and scream in it.

I didn't bother taking my face out when I fell into the bed. I just wanted to lay there and curse myself over and over again. I considered picking up my wand from my bedside table and sending a few of my favorite hexes in my direction, but I managed to stop myself.

Now my parents believe I have a boyfriend. And that boyfriend being James. Oh, my poor father. I wanted to run down the stairs again and give him a hug, let him know his baby girl hasn't grown up just yet. But the damage was done. Thanks to Petunia.

After I laid, face-down in my pile of pillows for twenty minutes, I heard a soft knock from my open door.

"Hey, kiddo. Can I talk to you?" My dads calm voice spoke from the doorway.

"Mhm?" I mumbled into the pillows, then sitting up from the bed. He walked over and sat next to me reproachfully.

"Well, I just wanted to tell you, I'm not upset with you. I mean, I'm nervous, of course, but that's how it always is for Dads. I just want you to make good decisions and be smart. Don't let this kid boss you around, be the woman I know you are, alright?" He said this very fast, clearly nervous.

I looked up into his worried face and hugged him.

"Of course. I love you, Dad." I said from over his shoulder.

"I love you too, Lils," he said, pulling away from the hug. He looked into my eyes with a serious expression. "Now, I know you're getting older and stuff, so I just want you to be responsib-"

"Ok, that's enough Dad," My cheeks were glowing with embarrassment. "Out now, out now!" I stood up from the bed and ushered him out. Did he seriously just try to give me the talk.

He laughed as I pushed him out and into the hall. "Alright, alright." He made his way down the stairs again, waving his hand over his shoulder at me.

I turned back to my room. What now? Well, for now I'll go shower and get ready for bed.

I looked up to my alarm clock. 6:49. It's not even 7 yet? Why is time going so slowly?

I trudged my way to the bathroom next door when Petunia came out of her bedroom. She looked up and scowled at me menacingly.

"Feel special, do you? Because Mum and Dad favor you? Because they don't care that you're randomly dating some boy that doesn't even exist?" She spit at me.

"He does exist!" My temper was rising, and getting the best of me. Along with the red color in my face.

"Oh yes, I'm sure. You're going to think of some excuse by Friday, aren't you? I bet that freakishly large head of yours is already planning it." She looked me up and down with disgust, and without another word, stormed downstairs.

Why did she have to hate me? Anything I did seemed to be wrong to her. As she and I get older, the arguments become worse and more fierce. Spending an entire summer with her would be dreadful.

Shockingly, I wished Friday would come sooner.

* * *

Thursday flew by in a flash. Time seemed to change its mind and go ten times faster now. I had pulled my suitcase up from our basement, but didn't pack anything other than underwear and bras. Mum had insisted we clean the house well before everyone came and picked me up, so I decided not to pack until the next day.

I realized my mistake of procrastinating on Friday. At 2:30 that day, my small suitcase lays empty and open in the middle of my bed. My entire closet seemed to be scattered across the floor.