Chapter 8: Flying Lesson

Disclaimer: everything besides Sophie and her family belong to J. K. Rowling.

--//::;()$$&$(;:-

It has only been a few days and things got much better for me. The students who were mean to me weren't mean to me anymore. Some students wanted to be my friend. Everyone accepted that I was not sorted into a house. I heard that Malfoy went around and told them to stop picking on me. I didn't know if that was true or not. If he did tell them to stop, I would have to thank him later. The only problem was that I didn't want to go anywhere near him.

I avoided Malfoy for a while. I had a bad vibe around him. I couldn't avoid him when we had classes together. Sometimes I would sit far away from him. Other times, I had no choice, but to sit next him him. Other times, I would sit with Harry or Ron. Malfoy tried to talk to me, but I just ignored him. I was afraid of what he would think about my parents regardless of blood status. Also, I wondered if someone dared him to be nice to me.

Since then I started to hang around Harry and Ron more. Sometimes, I would eat breakfast and lunch with them. They were really nice. I learned a lot about Harry from Ron since I didn't know anything about him being the boy who lived. I would study with them whenever I could. I liked to study by myself most of the time, but I didn't know much of the wizard world so they were helping me. Malfoy would always look at me from his seat. I would see him give a disgusted look at Harry and Ron. When he looked at me, his face would go blank and turn his head quickly. {What is wrong with him?}

Today, I had flying lessons with Gryffindor and Slytherin. That meant Harry, Ron, and Malfoy would be with me. I walked on the grass where everyone were standing. I saw the Gryffindors and Slytherins were separated. I tried to look for a broom. The only broom around was next to Malfoy. I groaned inside my head. He smiled at me. I slowly made my way next to him. "I'm glad you here," he said. I just nodded my head. I looked over at Ron and Harry. They gave me a weak smile. I gave them a weak smile as well.

After we got settled, our teacher walk through us. "Good afternoon class," she said. "Good afternoon Madam Hooch," we said. The only thing scary about her was her eyes. {I never seen that shade of eye color before.} She was a really nice person to talk to. I would sometimes talk to her during dinner. She explained to me the sport of Quidditch. I didn't know that witches and wizards had their own sport. It was interesting to a certain extent.

To be honest, I was afraid heights. I was afraid of heights since I was a little girl. When I was five years old, my family and I were flying to Los Angeles to visit my uncle. Our plane shook a lot. It turned into a disaster when our plane had mechanical problems that led to an emergency landing. Since then, I always took a series of trains to go to Los Angeles. I never wanted to fly again. Now I had no choice because flying was part of my grade.

I turned my attention to Madam Hooch. "Welcome to your first flying lesson. Well, what are you waiting for. Everyone step up to your left side of your broom stick. Come on now hurry up," she instructed. We all did as she said. "Stick your right hand over your broom. And say up," She instructed. "Up," everyone said. The only people that got it on their first try was Harry and I. We were amazed. I surprised myself a bit. I saw Malfoy got his broomstick on his second try. He turned his head to me an smiled a bit. I gave him a small smile and turned my head to Ron. {Looks like he is having trouble.}

I noticed that many students were having trouble to come up to their hands. Hermione was having trouble. "With feeling," she instructed. {Now she says it.} Hermione was sounding pretty mean to it. She was practically demanding the broom to come up. Ron said up this time with feeling and it slammed into his face. {Too much feeling Ron.} "Shut up, Harry," he said. I giggled a bit.

"Now once you got hold of your broom, I want you to mount it. Grip it tight. You don't want to be sliding off the end," she instructed. We did as she told us. "When I blow my whistle, I want each of you to kick off from the ground...hard. Keep your brooms steady, hover for a minute, and lean forward slightly. and touch back down. On my whistle three two" then she whistle. Neville started to fly. He was going everywhere. Madam Hooch tried to instruct him to get back down, but it didn't work. His broom was going wild.

He was flying and he was about to fly towards us. Malfoy put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me away in time for him to fly pass us. Malfoy turned me around and I faced him. "Are you ok?" He asked with concern. "I'm fine," I said. I felt myself blush a bit. I turned my attention to Neville. Neville flied until his robe got caught by spear of a statue on top of of a turret. Then his robe ripped and he fell to a fire torch. He started to slip out of his robe. Then he fell out of his robes and fell to the ground. Everyone surrounded him.

"Everyone out of the way," we heard. Everyone made room for Madam Hooch to get through. Madam Hooch ran to Neville. He had injured his wrist. Madam Hooch told everyone was to remain on the ground while she took Neville to the hospital wing. I saw Malfoy pick up a ball from the ground. I recognized it. It was Neville's Rememberal.

After Madam Hooch left the ground, Malfoy turned to the other kids. "Did you see his face. Maybe his had given this a squeeze, maybe he would have remembered to fall on his fat ass," he said. I was shocked at what he just said. That was so unnecessary. The kids laughed. Harry went up to Malfoy. "Give it here, Malfoy," he demanded. "No. I think I will leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find," he said. I didn't know what to think. He is so mean.

Malfoy got on his broom and flew away in the air. "Whats a matter Potter? A bit behind your reach" he dared him. Harry got onto his broom. Hermione went up to him to stop him, but it didn't work. Harry flew up to him. "Give it here Malfoy or I'll knock you off your broom," I heard Harry say. "Have it your way than," I heard malfoy say. Malfoy threw the ball. Harry flew passed him and grabbed it before slamming into the tower. He was closed to Professor McGonagall's room. The Gryffindors ran up to Harry in cheer until Professor McGonagall took him away.

I heard Crabbe and Goyle laugh. I turned and saw Malfoy smile. "Do you know what you have just done?" I questioned him angrily. "I..." Malfoy didn't know what to say or how to react to the question. I turned around and walked away. At dinner, I focused on eating until I looked at Malfoy at the Slytherin's table. He looked at me. "Sorry," he mouthed. I turned down on my food. A minute later, I found Harry at the Gryffindor's table. {Wasn't he expelled." Later on, I learned that Harry became the seeker of Gryffindor Quidditch team. I was happy for him.